Draft Profile: BioJayden de Laura from St. Louis High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, de Laura opted to join Washington State.
In 2020 as a freshman de Laura saw action in 4 games for the Cougars as he threw for a solid 893 yards on 130 attempts with a completion percent of 60.8 for an average of 6.9 yards per pass, with just 5 TDs, while taking 9 sacks, and a solid QB rating of 81.3.
In 2021 as a sophomore he played in 12 games as he passed for an impressive 2790 yards on 360 attempts with a completion percent of 63.1 for an average of 7.8 yards per pass, with an impressive 23 TDs, while also taking 14 sacks, and putting up an impressive QB rating of 97.8. He made 42 runs for a total of 189 yards at an average of 4.5 per rush.
After season's end de Laura transferred to Arizona where as a junior in 2022 de Laura played a total of 12 games. He passed for an elite 3685 yards on 438 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 62.1 for an average of 8.4 yards per attempt, with an impressive 25 TDs, and allowing 27 sacks, with an impressive QB rating on the year of 95.5. As a runner he logged 57 runs for a total of 331 yards at an average of 5.8 per run.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Ball placement is a strength. de Laura has the natural instincts to make plays when forced to improvise.
- Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver.
- Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws.
- Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
- Possesses a strong right arm and is capable of making every NFL throw easily. Can drive the deep out to the sideline from the opposite hash and has no problem threading the needle between closing defenders. Easily zips to all areas of the field, demonstrating very good touch on underneath routes to running backs and receivers, as well as down the sideline on deep passes.
- Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry. Has the zip to hit tight windows on short and intermediate throws.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Lack of height, measurables and overall size are huge red flags - looks diminutive in the huddle. Lacks the arm strength to drive the ball downfield to keep defenses honest.
- His arm strength is decent but less than ideal; de Laura lacks a little zip, and accuracy becomes an issue when he’s unable or unwilling to set his feet.
- de Laura has to clean up his throwing motion when he’s on the move. de Laura was often too quick to pull the ball down and take off, and he seemed to have trouble sifting through moving parts in the middle of the field.