Draft Profile: BioKeaton Upshaw from Lima Senior High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a -star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Upshaw opted to join Kentucky.
In 2019 as a freshman Upshaw saw action in 13 games for the Wildcats as he made 7 receptions for only 78 yards for an average of 11.1 yards per reception, with one TD, and an elite QB rating when targeted of 126.3. As a blocker he allowed one pressure and no sacks.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played 11 games and had a decent 16 catches for 198 yards for an average of 12.4 yards per catch, with 3 TDs, and an elite QB rating when targeted of 131.6. In pass protection he gave up no pressures and no sacks. As a pass blocker he gave up one pressure and no sacks.
As a junior in 2022 he played 11 games and hauled in only 4 catches for only 50 yards for an average of 12.5 yards per catch, with no TDs, and only QB rating when targeted of 52.8.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Excels finding soft spots in zone coverage and using his large frame to shield defenders.
- Looks and runs like a lanky receiver. High-cut, long and lean frame. Deceptive speed and enough quickness to separate.
- He’s lanky and long-armed, but Upshaw has the broad-shouldered frame to carry more weight. Upshaw was a national high-jump champion in high school, and that athleticism translates to the passing game.
- He is a highly competitive player and quickly gets to the perimeter, blocking well in space and at the second level.
- His long arms allow him to play bigger than his size, and he has a frame that can carry a little more weight.
- Upshaw has quick feet and good body control, allowing him to gear down and quickly get in and out of cuts. His hands are good, and he’s a creative runner after the catch with the elusiveness to slip tackles in space.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- While Upshaw has the athleticism to be a catch-and-run threat, he never seemed comfortable catching, gathering, and transitioning to a runner.
- Upshaw also had problems with drops when coming back to the action. Upshaw has some issues against press coverage, sometimes spending too much time hand fighting at the line of scrimmage.
- He’s not going to threaten to take the top off of a defense.
How other scouting services rate Keaton Upshaw (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank