Draft Profile: BioKyu Blu Kelly attended Bishop Gorman High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.860, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Kelly opted to join Stanford.
In 2019 as a freshman Kelly saw action in 12 games and played a total of 692 snaps at Cornerback for the Cardinals. He recorded 34 tackles, 7 assists, while adding 6 stops. In coverage Kelly notched up 3 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 90.6.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 5 games and logged 313 snaps for the Cardinals. He made 17 tackles, 2 assists, and had 5 stops. In coverage he totaled one pass breakup, no interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 134.1.
In 2021 as a junior Kelly played in 11 games and contributed on 729 snaps. He chalked up decent 54 tackles, 5 assists, and added 16 stops. In the secondary Kelly forced 6 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and gave up a solid QB rating when targetted of 87.8.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Good strength to tackle. Plays with high energy and is a tough-minded overachiever.
- Stays low in his backpedal and shows the click-and-close ability to break up plays in front of him. Kelly can move well laterally and shows excellent instincts when looking into the backfield in zone coverage.
- He’s a willing and capable hitter in run support and closes fast to make plays against quick screens.
- He’s a technician in press coverage, with a strong punch and the ability to reroute receivers.
- Can get up under a receiver’s chin and has the speed to flip his hips and run downfield. He has the quick and surprisingly powerful hands to jostle receivers early. But he’s at his best peeking into the backfield.
- He has the straight-line speed to recover. His ball skills are tremendous, with good hands and the potential to take it to the house any time Kelly gets his hands on the ball.
- His ball skills are very good. Kelly tracks the ball well downfield and has the hands and coordination to come away with interceptions even when he isn’t targeted often.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Susceptible to the big plays as a gambler at the catch point and as a catch-and-run victim. He’s also too reluctant to come up and make hits in run support, often focusing on the strip more than the tackle.
- Feet aren’t ideal, as Kelly gets sloppy in his backpedal and can be sluggish when transitioning to close on the ball.
- Isn’t great in route recognition when he’s facing the action, is hesitant and susceptible to double moves, and too often gets unnecessarily handsy when playing trail position
How other scouting services rate Kyu Blu Kelly (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank