Draft Profile: BioAfter high school, Heins opted to join South Dakota State.
In 2019 as a freshman Heins saw action in 4 games for the Jackrabbits as he made 3 receptions for only 63 yards for an average of 21.0 yards per reception, with one TD, and an impressive QB rating when targeted of 104.2. As a blocker he allowed no pressures and no sacks.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played 10 games and had only 12 catches for 197 yards for an average of 16.4 yards per catch, with no TDs, and only QB rating when targeted of 49.2. In pass protection he gave up no pressures and no sacks. As a pass blocker he gave up 6 pressures and one sack.
As a junior in 2021 he played 15 games and hauled in a decent 24 catches for a decent 250 yards for an average of 10.4 yards per catch, with 6 TDs, and an elite QB rating when targeted of 139.8.
As a senior in 2022 he played 12 games and had a decent 28 catches for a decent 316 yards for an average of 11.3 yards per catch, 4 TDs, and an impressive QB rating when targeted of 105.9. In pass protection he gave up one pressure and no sacks.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Knee-bend and technique are good and Heins shows decent power when his hands hit the target.
- Catches well in traffic, shields the ball from defenders with his frame, and holds on despite being hit. Will fully extend, snatch, and stay in bounds.
- Looks to get involved downfield and will block multiple defenders on a single play when he can. Understands his role as a blocker.
- Good burst off the snap, quick hands and good balance to gain a clean release.
- Has smooth body control, reliable hands and natural ball skills to adjust to off-target throws and make impressive catch.
- Has enough speed to challenge the seam but does not possess elite top-end speed.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Is a bit high-hipped and slow to get rolling. Frame limits upside as a blocker.
- Only average lateral agility to elude and might not be fast enough to be a consistent threat down the seam against NFL competition.
- A glider, moves faster than Heins appears but lacks the top-end speed to be a real threat down the seam.
Zach Heins percentiles vs other Tight End's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Zach Heins (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank