Drafted: 2021: ROUND: 1 - Pick Number: 10 (PHI)
Draft Profile: BioDeVonta Smith attended Amite High School and was Following high school, Smith opted to join Alabama after being heavily recruited.
In 2019 as a freshman Smith saw action in just one game and played a total of one snap at wide receiver for the Crimson Tide. He recorded no tackles, no assists, while adding no stops. In coverage Smith notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and an outstanding QB rating when targetted of .0.
Honors & awards
- 2020 Fred Biletnikoff Award
- 2020 Heisman Memorial Trophy
- 2020 Maxwell Award
- 2020 Walter Camp Award
- 2020 Paul Hornung Award
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s tall-framed with long arms to match. With his powerful hands, straight-line speed, and fluidity in his hips, turning and chasing downfield shouldn’t be a problem.
- Has the quick feet to mirror receivers underneath. Smith also has the fluid hips and top-end speed to turn and run downfield. He shows good awareness when dropping into zone coverage, with good route recognition and the ability to break quickly and cover a lot of ground.
- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Smith can flip his hips and run, with good top-end speed and the length to make plays on the ball.
- A very quick and very confident cover corner plays bigger than his listed size when lined up in press coverage, delivering quick, surprisingly powerful punches and using his natural quickness and change-of-direction ability to mirror on underneath routes.
- Can track the ball downfield and gets his head around when playing in a trail position, and Smith shows excellent ball skills when breaking on a route. He’s a plus tackler in run support as well.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Isn’t overly physical and might struggle to win early against bigger receivers in the NFL. He’s also underpowered in run support, not aggressive enough coming downhill, and too much of a grab-and-drag tackler.
- Needs to develop a better understanding of route combinations and better overall vision.
- Feet aren’t ideal, as Smith gets sloppy in his backpedal and can be sluggish when transitioning to close on the ball.
How other scouting services rate DeVonta Smith (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank