Draft Profile: BioBarrett Carter from North Gwinnett High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Carter joined Clemson after being heavily recruited.
In 2021 as a freshman Carter saw action in 12 games and played a total of 183 snaps at linebacker for the Tigers. He recorded 12 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 9 stops. In coverage Carter notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 122.1.
As a sophomore for the Tigers in 2022 Carter played in 12 games and took part in 766 snaps for the Tigers. He recorded 45 tackles, 14 assists, while adding 32 stops. In coverage Carter made 4 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 79.2. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 24 total pressures, and 15 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 4 sacks during the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Effective in pursuit when chasing down backs as a run defender. Carter has the athleticism to cover a lot of ground when dropping into coverage.
- Shows a great feel in coverage. Often arrives at the receiver at the same time as the ball, conceding few yards after the catch. Has straight-line speed to stay with or chase down receivers in man.
- Exhibits good closing speed with long arms, making him adept at hindering quarterbacks and running backs.
- Displays good quickness off the line of scrimmage and flashes the violent hands to win around the edge.
- He has good speed and closing burst when blitzing.
- Carter demonstrates good quickness and an excellent understanding of angles, often outmaneuvering blockers to the spot.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- While effective in pursuit, Carter's instinct for locating the ball against the run could improve.
- Despite his lateral agility, there's room to enhance his pursuit effectiveness.
- As a tackler, he tends to grab and drag more, and could benefit from increasing the intensity of his hits.
How other scouting services rate Barrett Carter (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank