Draft Profile: BioCam Jones from St. Benedict at Auburndale High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Jones joined Indiana.
In 2018 as a freshman Jones saw action in 11 games and played a total of 191 snaps at Linebacker for the Hoosiers. He recorded 14 tackles, one assist, while adding 5 stops. In coverage Jones notched up one pass breakup, one interception, and a decent QB rating when targetted of 75.0.
As a sophomore for the Hoosiers in 2019 Jones played in 12 games and took part in 310 snaps for the Hoosiers. He recorded 23 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 15 stops. In coverage Jones made 2 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 92.9. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 8 total pressures, and 2 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 2 sacks during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Jones played in 8 games and contributed on 364 snaps. He recorded 27 tackles, 6 assists while making 15 stops. In coverage Jones chalked up 2 pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 135.6. As a pass rusher, he produced 13 total pressures, which included 8 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Jones logged playing time in 11 games and logged a total of 633 snaps for the Hoosiers. He also added solid 57 tackles, 17 assists, and 35 stops. While in coverage Jones made 3 pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 126.8. As a pass rusher, he tallied 12 total pressures, which included 6 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Jones has ability as a blitzer, with the length and flexibility to get around the edge.
- Handles misdirection well with quick change-of-direction ability. Comes downhill quickly against the run when Jones has an open lane.
- He’s effective in pursuit when chasing down backs as a run defender, and he has the athleticism to cover a lot of ground when dropping into coverage.
- Good closing speed with long arms to drag down quarterbacks and running backs.
- Tougher between the tackles than many expect. Fluid and quick drop into zone, covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 "MIKE" and knows where the markers are.
- Gets pressures on inside stunts and was too explosive for college guards to handle.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’ll need to be covered up to be effective. He’s not the kind of guy you can line up in the pass rush and have him bend the edge; he’s limited to shooting through gaps.
- While Jones moves well laterally, he doesn’t always get there in pursuit.
- Jones doesn’t play with the functional strength and physicality to fight through blocks; he’ll need to be covered up in order to maximize his playmaking.
How other scouting services rate Cam Jones (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank