Draft Profile: BioC.J. Stroud from Rancho Cucamonga High School was rated a 4 star prospect by 247 Sports with a rating of 0.978. Following high school Stroud opted to join .
In 2021 as a freshman Stroud saw action in 12 games for the Buckeyes as he threw for 4424 yards on 443 attempts with a completion percent of 71.6 for an average of 10.0 yards per pass, with 44 TDs, while taking 12 sacks, and a QB rating of 130.8.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry. Has the zip to hit tight windows on short and intermediate throws.
- Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws.
- Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage after the catch.
- Generally accurate on intermediate and short throws; flashes anticipation and placement on intermediate outs and the ability to lead receivers on deeper throws.
- Gets the ball out quickly, making ·splitsecond decisions. Good short to intermediate level accuracy, demonstrating the ball placement to allow receivers to run after the catch.
- Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver.
- Possesses a strong right arm and is capable of making every NFL throw easily. Can drive the deep out to the sideline from the opposite hash and has no problem threading the needle between closing defenders. Easily zips to all areas of the field, demonstrating very good touch on underneath routes to running backs and receivers, as well as down the sideline on deep passes.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.
- Needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws. Accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much.
How other scouting services rate C.J. Stroud (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank