Draft Profile: BioWill Levis from Xavier High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Levis a 4.0 GPA had offers from a number of Ivy League schools, including Harvard, and Princeton, but wanted to pursue a FBS football career and signed with Penn State instead.
After redshirting all of 2018 in 2019 as a freshman Levis saw action in just 4 games for the Nittany Lions as he threw for 223 yards on 47 attempts with a completion percentage of 59.6 for an average of 4.7 yards per pass, with 2 TDs, while taking 9 sacks, and a QB rating of 68.0. He added 46 runs for 253 yards at an average of 5.5 per run.
In 2020 as a sophomore in limited action he passed for 414 yards on 54 attempts with a completion percent of 59.3 for an average of 7.7 yards per pass, with one TD, while also taking 5 sacks, and putting up a QB rating of 89.6. He made 79 runs for a total of 286 yards at an average of 3.6 per rush.
After the season's end and starting just two games in three years combined at Penn State Levis wisely opted to transfer to Kentucky where now as a junior he was handed the starting role and played a total of 13 games. He passed for 2827 yards on 352 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 65.9 for an average of 8.0 yards per attempt, with 24 TDs, and allowing 24 sacks, with a QB rating on the year of 97.8. As a runner, he logged 98 runs for a total of 516 yards at an average of 5.3 per run. He was also voted a team captain.
In 2022 as a senior Levis saw action in 11 games as he threw for 2416 yards on 286 attempts with a completion percentage of 65 for an average of 8.4 yards per pass, with an excellent 19 TDs, while taking 34 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 99.1. He added 45 runs for a total of 119 yards at an average of 2.6 per run.
Honors & awards
- Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Top 10
- Davey O’Brien QB Class of 2022
- Manning Award Watch List
- Maxwell Trophy Watch List
- Walter Camp Player of the Year Watch List
- CFPA National Performer of the Year Watch List
- Reese’s Senior Bowl Watch List
- Elected one of seven team captains for 2022
- Played in 11 games this season … Did not play vs. South Carolina with injury
- Completed 185 of 283 passes for 2,406 yards and 19 scores with 10 interceptions
- Ranked fourth in the SEC and 27th nationally in pass efficiency (151.9)
- Ranked fourth in the SEC and 23rd nationally in yards per pass attempt (8.50)
- Ranked fifth in the SEC in passing TDs (19)
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Prototype QB standing at 6’4″, 230 pounds with the frame to survive contact in the pro game - looks like a linebacker
- Has probably the strongest arm in the draft - claims he can throw the ball 80 yards, and from his play, we see no reason to doubt him
- Has an elite quick-release, unusual for a player with such a strong arm, alongside fast info processing makes him ideal for a Sean McVay-style offense
- Very accurate on intermediate and long passes; flashes anticipation and placement on intermediate outs and the ability to lead receivers on deeper throws.
- His stats at UK probably underrate his performance - where most of his interceptions were a result of receiver mistakes as appose to throwing inaccuracy
- Has played behind a subpar offensive line at UK, meaning a high proportion of his passes were thrown under serious pressure, and he still has managed to take good take of the football
- Showed incredible improvement after transferring to the UK - came from nowhere to develop into a serious NFL talent
- Super smart student with 4.0 GPA - was offered scholarships to multiple Ivy League Schools
- Consistently puts the ball into tight windows over the middle, throwing to spot-on slant or between zone defenders before the receiver is open
- Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes
- Has well-developed footwork and has experience operating from both the shotgun and under center
- Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time, with the size and power to run over smaller defenders. Can be used on QB power, sweeps, and counters and is a major threat in the redzone
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- His athletic gifts are not in doubt, his mechanics are still pretty raw
- Doesn't pick up blitzes and changes in coverages as quickly as you would expect of a top prospect. Not overly instinctive
- Needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws
- Has had an issue with patience in the pocket - quickly gives up on the play and takes off
- Not always great going through progressions - has resulted in him throwing too many picks
- Throws with inconsistent footwork, which often leads to inaccurate passes
- Often throws using 3/4 release - although he's cleaned this up for the most part of late
- Levis could not beat out Sean Clifford, while playing at Penn State
Player ComparisonJosh Allen
Scouting Report: SummaryWill Levis came from nowhere in 2020 and after a solid 2022 season is now looked at as a legitimate first-round talent. He has generational physical gifts, as well as good accuracy and elite arm strength, a quick release - as well a natural feel for the game. Levis also offers a major impact as a runner who reminds us of Josh Allen who forces the defense to play eleven-on-eleven football, especially in the red zone.
He, however, is still very raw and has little nuance to his game. He has a number of flaws in his game most of which can be explained by him playing on talent starved Kentucky team and being forced to freelance... but not all.
Levis is the biggest boom-bust QB in the class by far, there's a chance he can become the second coming of Josh Allen, equally, there is also a chance he may fail to work out his technical issues and never become a decent pro starter.
Expect Will Levis to be drafted in the top half of the 2023 NFL Draft.
Will Levis percentiles vs other Quarterback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Will Levis (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank