Drafted: ROUND: 3 - Pick Number: 68 (DET)
Draft Profile: BioHendon Hooker while playing for Dudley High School threw for over 6000 yds and 55 TDs and also added another 3000 on the ground. He was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Hooker opted to stay close to home and joined Virginia Tech.
In 2019 as a freshman Hooker saw action in 10 games for the Hokies as he threw for 1556 yards on 163 attempts with a completion percent of 60.7 for an average of 9.5 yards per pass, with 13 TDs, while taking 17 sacks, and a QB rating of 113.9.
2020 was a disappointment for Hooker as he played in 7 games passing for 1232 yards with a completion percentage of 63 for an average of 8.9 yards per pass, with 8 TDs, while also taking 16 sacks, and putting up a QB rating of 96.0. He added 112 runs for a total of 497 yards for an average of 4.4 per rush.
After the down year of 2020 Hooker transferred to Tennessee and with it, his production got back on track - he played 13 games in 2021 passing for 2948 yards on 304 attempts (68% completion rate) for an average of 9.7 yards per attempt, with 31 TDs, and allowing 41 sacks, with a QB rating on the year of 129.1. In the rushing department, he notched up 88 runs for a total of 559 yards at an average of 6.4 per run.
At the end of 2021 Hooker was named an SEC fourth-team selection, added to the 2022 Manning Award Preseason Watch List along with the 2022 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Watch List.
In 2022 as a senior Hooker saw action in 11 games as he threw for an elite 3135 yards on 331 attempts with a completion percent of 69.2 for an average of 9.5 yards per pass, with an elite 27 TDs, while taking 26 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 123.9. He added 129 runs for a total of 786 yards at an average of 6.1 per run.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Hooker has a quick release and a live arm, delivering tight spirals, and Hooker shows good touch at the intermediate levels as well as being able to drop it into the bucket deep
- Shows good accuracy on shorter throws when on the move to either side
- Hooker has shown the ability to get the ball downfield, and he exhibited impressive velocity and accuracy when throwing on the move. Looks like he has a strong NFL-level arm
- Accurate on intermediate and short throws; flashes anticipation and placement on intermediate outs and the ability to lead receivers on deeper throws.
- Excellent accuracy overall, including elite accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage after the catch.
- Has ideal height for the position at 6-4 and it's an asset scanning the field, and also he's a he is a better mover than a typical tall quarterback.
- Checked in at the Senior Bowl with 10 1/2 inch hands - by far the biggest of the group. This will further boost his stock
- Is an impressive runner - has consistently gained yardage on the ground - could be used to run a version of the read option when required
- Really smart player, high character guy - who can be a natural team leader. Aced his interviews at the combine
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Hooker has a tendency to hold the ball too long, and will make panicked throws; good things don’t always follow when he’s forced to extend plays.
- He remains a work in progress physically, he may will need to add more weight to stand up long-term in the pros
- Hooker gets sloppy with his mechanics on the move, losing accuracy as he relies too much on his arm.
- His footwork needs some work - stands flat-footed. Not a big issue but it will need to be sorted
- Worked out of an offense that's alien to what's run in the NFL - it could be a steep learning curve for him in the pros
- Whenever he is forced outside the pocket he will look to run and rarely passes. Will need to learn to keep his head up looking downfield on scrambles
- Hooker suffered an ACL tear on Nov. 19 during a game against the South Carolina Gamecocks on the road. Will need to check out medically
- Overaged prospect - he'll be 25 come draft day.
Player ComparisonDeshaun Watson
Scouting Report: SummaryHooker is a quality prospect who has faced adversity during his college career but now seems in an ideal place to take the next step and really get the attention of NFL scouts. He possesses excellent athletic talent, has a strong arm, huge hands, and has the power and accuracy to make all the requisite throws at the next level, he also is a decent runner and is always a threat on the move.
Hooker was putting up elite numbers prior to his ACL injury but still finished the season with an impressive 123.9 NFL QB rating. Was outstanding in a 5 TD performance against Alabama although ran into a brick wall a few weeks later against Georgia.
We expect Hooker to be an outstanding draft prospect - assuming he recovers from the torn ACL and has all the skills to become a quality starter in the pros so long as he isn't rushed into action too soon.
Hendon Hooker percentiles vs other Quarterback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Hendon Hooker Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate Hendon Hooker (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank