Draft Profile: BioJoe Alt from Totino-Grace High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Alt opted to join Notre Dame.
In 2021 as a freshman Alt saw action in 11 games and played a total of 613 snaps for the Fighting Irish. He allowed 7 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 3 sacks while playing most of his snaps at left tackle.
As a sophomore in 2022 he played in 12 games and a total of 807 snaps. He conceded just 3 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at left tackle.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Excellent quick-twitch movement off the snap in pass protection and as a run blocker.
- He’s a fluid mover in pass protection, with great coordination between his upper and lower body. Alt sets with a wide base, has the requisite core strength and plays with natural balance, capable of sitting back and handling power.
- Consistently lands blocks at the second level, and Alt finishes strong. As a pass protector, he has violent, heavy hands. Along with a strong initial punch, he has the hand strength to grip and redirect pass rushers.
- Shows excellent awareness against twists and stunts, and he has the strong, flexible core and wide base to catch and handle moving defenders.
- Showing some nastiness to his game, he will sustain blocks through the whistle, thriving when he’s in the phone booth.
- In the run game, he shows good burst off the line of scrimmage, with the ability to win at the point of attack. Alt has enough speed and athleticism to move to the second level and land blocks.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Stops his feet after initial contact, relying on length but allowing defender to get the corner or spin inside.
- His physical gifts were enough to get by against collegiate opponents, but Alt had trouble with bull rushers when facing quality competition, which is potentially a problem in the NFL.
- Needs to prove his worth in a straight-ahead running game.
How other scouting services rate Joe Alt (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank