Drafted: ROUND: 1 - Pick Number: 19 (NO)
Draft Profile: BioTrevor Penning joined the Northern Iowa Panthers from high school where he played tight end and defensive end. His first meaningful experience came in 2019 where he started 15 games and was on the field for 824 snaps. In the COVID shortened season of 2020, he started 4 games and was given an All-MVFC honorable mention. He also earned Preseason All-American honors from STATS Perform heading into the 2021 season.
2021 has been a great one for Penning where he's only given up a single sack on 654 plays over 13 games and has led to him being listed as a Walter Payton Award finalist.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Penning is a massive human with prototype traits to be a starting left tackle in the NFL.
- Has a nasty streak that leads to defenders being driven into the ground
- Athletic enough to play at left tackle and strong enough to move to the right side
- Penning made Bruce Feldman's freak list, -he squats 625 (a Northern Iowa record), power cleans 385 pounds, has a size 17 shoe, and will likely run around a 5.0 40-yard dash.
- Penning put up fantastic numbers at the combine with a 4.89-second 40-yard dash and 7.25-second three-cone
- Has loose hips and can reset his stance in tight spots
- Very powerful - a former shot putter and discus thrower - wrestles defenders to the ground
- Has a good technique in pass protection
- Very long arms - ideal for playing the left tackle spot (34 ⅞ inch arms and 10 ⅛ inch hands)
- Penning's kick-slide and explosion out of his stance is excellent
- If a scout were to draw up a starting NFL left tackle, the picture may look like a lot like Adams. His height, length and athletic build are prototypical for the position that helps protect the blind side of ultra-important starting quarterbacks.
- Attacks his man, playing with a wide base and the lateral agility to mirror, sustain and shuffle to help inside. Has the size, strength and quick feet to be effective as a position run-blocker.
- Penning has the ability to mirror speed from the outside, with the strength to defeat power bull rush moves
- Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet.
- Anchors against larger defenders in the middle; resets hands to maintain distance.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Needs to work on his technique in pass protection, using more consistent leverage and continuing to move his feet.
- Has been caught holding when he loses leverage
- Loses leverage battles and plays with high pad level. Can be late off the snap.
- We have seen him whiff on blocks after being beaten initially. Plays too high and without proper leverage, pad level and can be passive.
- Will punch at smaller defenders instead of latching on and is more of a mauler than mover in the running game. Can improve maintaining outside leverage when doubling the nose. Ducks his head and gets too upright, causing him to fall off second-level blocks.
Scouting Report: SummaryPenning is a massive man with ideal size for the position who has dominated at the FCS level and improved every year while doing so. He has freakish athletic talent combined with solid technique and quickness. The only obvious negative is - playing in the FCS, so he's never really been tested against top-level players on a consistent basis.
He is similar, although maybe even a little more powerful than former teammate and current Bills player Spencer Brown, and like him will likely develop into a quality NFL starter.
We see Penning as a quality NFL prospect who could dominate in the pros and a likely a day one starter. He'll be being picked on the first day of the 2022 NFL Draft.
How other scouting services rate Trevor Penning (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank