Drafted: ROUND: 3 - Pick Number: 92 (GB)
Draft Profile: BioSean Rhyan was a dominant high school player in Los Angeles - rated by ESPN.com as a Four-star recruit and also the No. 1 offensive lineman recruit in the state of California. He opted to stay close to home and accepted a scholarship from UCLA.
He started as a freshman and played 869 offensive snaps while surrendering 1 sack, 6 QB hits, and 30 QB hurries and was awarded with a Freshman All-America team selection, a USA Today Freshman All-American team selection, and a place on the Athletic 2019 Freshman All-America team as a result
Rhyan continued to start at left tackle in all 7 games in 2020 as UCLA produced a rushing average of 230.6 yards per game which ranked second in the Pac-12. His stat sheet improved: on 536 snaps he didn't give a single sack, had 3 QB hits, and only 8 hurries.
In 2021 he upped his game further and helped pave the way for the Bruins to average over 200 yards per game on the ground for the second straight season (215.1). His pass blocking stat sheet continued to improve: on 862 snaps he surrendered a single sack, had 3 QB hits, and 9 hurries. Rhyan was named to the first-team All-Pac-12 team by the league's coaches and Phil Steele and was selected to the second-team by Associated Press
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Impressive athlete who excelled in field events (shot put and discus) at high school - who has a massive solid frame with good length and powerful legs
- Excellent foot speed for a player of his size - who can track pass rushers with good lateral agility
- Plays with appropriate wide base and intelligence, instincts, and agility to seal the edge. Aggressive extending with power to punch and looks comfortable in space.
- Is a knee bender with very good technique and three full years of starting experience
- Awareness is above-average for his limited experience. Sells trap block and can turn to seal. Fluid getting to and adjust at the second level.
- Dips shoulder and moves his feet to get outside leverage when needed. Strong and low coming out of his stance, effective in short-yardage situations.
- Rhyan has a decent short-area burst and can reach the second and third levels in the run game
- An impressive super strong drive blocking road-grader who plows through the defense on run plays
- Above-average football smarts and general intelligence. Plays with a nasty streak. Solid character and work ethic.
- Versitile -has the body type to kick inside and dominate
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has shorter arms than you would want for the position - so may not be suited to a left tackle at the next level
- Is not a natural pass protector - doesn't have elite hand placement and takes some angles
- Whiffs on blocks after beaten initially and lacks range and lateral quickness. Plays too high and without proper leverage, pad level and can be passive
- Less impressive as a pass blocker than a run blocker and has had random lapses in concentration that have allowed QB pressure
- Loses leverage battles and plays with high pad level. Can be late off the snap
- Plays too high a pad level as a pass protector and is sometimes overaggressive leaving him out of position
Scouting Report: SummaryRhyan is a quality NFL prospect with an unbalanced skillset. He could well be the strongest most dominating run blocker in the entire offensive line class, he however is only average in pass protection and is limited somewhat by far from ideal length.
We see Rhyan as a second or third-round selection in the 2022 NFL Draft who will likely be an ideal fit with a run-first pro team.
Sean Rhyan percentiles vs other Offensive Tackle's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Sean Rhyan (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank