Draft Profile: BioAfter high school, Ward opted to join Incarnate Word.
In 2020 as a freshman Ward saw action in 6 games for the Cardinals as he threw for an impressive 2221 yards on 302 attempts with a completion percent of 59.6 for an average of 7.4 yards per pass, with an excellent 24 TDs, while taking 18 sacks, and an excellent QB rating of 103.4. He added 27 runs for a total of 123 yards at an average of 4.6 per run.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Sticks throws into tight windows over the middle, throwing to spot on slant or between zone defenders before the receiver is open.
- Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry. Has the zip to hit tight windows on short and intermediate throws.
- Physically, Ward is a natural athlete who plays with the balance and light feet to float in the pocket.
- Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws.
- Ward has a quick release and shows good accuracy on shorter throws when on the move to either side.
- Ward has enough arm strength to throw the deep out as well.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Marginal height, which will prove more of a detriment in an offense that asks him to drop back from center more often.
- Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.
- Ward often holds the ball too long. While Ward keeps his eyes up while moving, his mechanics get increasingly sloppy once he’s pushed off his spot.
How other scouting services rate Cameron Ward (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank