Draft Profile: BioFollowing high school Ward opted to join Incarnate Word.
In 2020 as a freshman Ward saw action in 6 games for the Cardinals as he threw for 2221 yards on 302 attempts with a completion percent of 59.6 for an average of 7.4 yards per pass, with 24 TDs, while taking 18 sacks, and a QB rating of 103.4. He added 27 runs for a total of 123 yards at an average of 4.6 per run.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws.
- Possesses a strong right arm and is capable of making every NFL throw easily. Can drive the deep out to the sideline from the opposite hash and has no problem threading the needle between closing defenders. Easily zips to all areas of the field, demonstrating very good touch on underneath routes to running backs and receivers, as well as down the sideline on deep passes.
- Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage after the catch.
- Flashes good accuracy to all levels of the field and has the arm strength to make every requisite NFL throw.
- Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver.
- Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry. Has the zip to hit tight windows on short and intermediate throws.
- Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Too often fails to give receivers a chance to make a play after the catch. High completion percentage padded by many quick screens.
- Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.
How other scouting services rate Cameron Ward (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank