Draft Profile: BioBryce Young attended Mater Dei High School and was rated a 5-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. He was selected to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Texas, where he earned Offensive MVP honors and was named the All-American Bowl Player of the Year After high school Young opted to join Alabama after being massively recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Young saw action in 7 games for the Crimson Tide while backing up New England Patriot's Mac Jones as he threw for 156 yards on 22 attempts with a completion percent of 59.1 for an average of 7.1 yards per pass, with one TD, while taking 7 sacks, and a QB rating of 96.0.
In 2021 as a sophomore he exploded onto the scene while playing in 14 games as he passed for 4491 yards on 492 attempts with a completion percent of 67.1 for an average of 9.1 yards per pass, with 45 TDs, while also taking 32 sacks, and put up a QB rating of 122.3. He added 45 runs for a total of 273 yards at an average of 6.1 per rush.
At the end of the season received an array of awards -- won the Heisman Trophy, and in addition, won the college football's Player of the Year by the Associated Press the winner of the Maxwell Award, was also recognized as college football's top player. He also claimed the Davey O'Brien and Manning awards, both presented annually to the nation's top quarterback and was a consensus first-team All-American by the AP, FWAA, and TSN
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws.
- Fields plays with rhythm and makes the game look effortless. He has a great throwing technique which produces great zip and velocity. He has a quick release and is a gunslinger with unbelievable arm strength - produces an exceptional deep ball.
- Really good leader - is really respected by team and coaches alike
- Quick-footed and balanced in dropping back, scanning the field. He rarely retreats or takes his eyes away from the secondary to look at the rush. Textbook throwing motion.
- Possesses a strong right arm and is capable of making every NFL throw easily. Can drive the deep out to the sideline from the opposite hash and has no problem threading the needle between closing defenders. Easily zips to all areas of the field, demonstrating very good touch on underneath routes to running backs and receivers, as well as down the sideline on deep passes.
- He possesses excellent straight-line speed for the quarterback position and vision, impressive mobility to evade defenders in the open field, and good strength.
- Extraordinary accuracy to all levels. He consistently throws to the open receiver. Zips the deep out low and outside. Excellent touch down the seam to fit the ball between defenders.
- He is able to evade pressure and get the ball out quickly. Ran a 4.4 40 at his pro-day. Has amazing mobility - only equaled in modern times by Mike Vick. Truly exceptional.
- Sees the field very well when the play breaks down and occasionally changes plays at the line.
- Confident in the pocket despite pressure, as he’s shown the ability to make 50-plus-yard throws even with defenders pulling him down
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- A little undersized and short in stature at only 5-11 and 194 lbs - looks diminutive in the huddle.
- Sometimes trusts his arm too much, trying to stick passes late in the play or when off-balance.
- Playing for Alabama has had elite talent him and hasn't had to face adversity
Scouting Report: SummaryIt will likely be either CJ Stroud or Bryce Young that go number one in the 2023 NFL Draft. Bryce Young has the ability to become a generational talent at the next level. He has an amazing arm, excellent accuracy, and elite mobility, however, is undersized and so it remains to be seen if he can hold up behind a subpar offensive line in the NFL.
How other scouting services rate Bryce Young (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank