Drafted: ROUND: 5 - Pick Number: 140 (CLE)
Draft Profile: BioDorian Thompson-Robinson (DTR) from Bishop Gorman High School played wide receiver until the start of his senior year after which he switched to quarterback. After being named an Under Armour All-American and leading Bishop Gorman to a 13-win season and the 2017 state championship he was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Thompson-Robinson opted to join UCLA over a host of offers from big schools.
In 2018 as a freshman Thompson-Robinson saw action in 8 games for the Bruins as he threw for 1308 yards on 195 attempts with a completion percent of 57.9 for an average of 6.7 yards per pass, with just 7 TDs, while taking 20 sacks, and QB rating of 81.7. He added 32 runs for a total of 206 yards at an average of 6.4 per run.
In 2019 as a sophomore he played in 11 games as he passed for 2700 yards on 365 attempts with a completion percent of 59.2 for an average of 7.4 yards per pass, with 21 TDs, while also taking 33 sacks, and putting up QB rating of 87.7. He made 87 runs for a total of 505 yards at an average of 5.8 per rush.
As a junior in 2020 Thompson-Robinson played a total of 5 games. He passed for 1128 yards on 140 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 65 for an average of 8.1 yards per attempt, with 12 TDs, and allowing 8 sacks, with an excellent QB rating on the year of 106.5. As a runner he logged 49 runs for a total of 361 yards at an average of 7.4 per run.
In 2021 as a senior DTR saw action in 11 games as he threw for 2390 yards on 284 attempts with a completion percent of 61.6 for an average of 8.4 yards per pass, with 21 TDs, while taking 22 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 104.3. He added 120 runs for a total of 706 yards at an average of 5.9 per run.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Thompson-Robinson saw action in 12 games as he threw for 2873 yards on 360 attempts with a completion percent of 69.4 for an average of 8.0 yards per pass, with 25 TDs, while taking 15 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 108.3. He added 109 runs for a total of 720 yards at an average of 6.6 per run.
Honors & awards
- 2022 Davey O'Brien Award semifinalist
- 2022 honorable mention All-Pac-12 by the league coaches
- Completed his career as UCLA's all-time leader in total offense (12,536-only UCLA player to ever record over 12,000 yards), completions (860), total touchdowns (116)
- 2021 Phil Steele's and AP's first-team All-Pac-12 squad
- 2020 named second-team All-Pac-12 by the league coaches
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Gets the ball out quickly, making · split-second decisions. Good short to intermediate-level accuracy, demonstrating the ball placement to allow receivers to run after the catch.
- Physically, Thompson-Robinson is a natural athlete who plays with balance and light feet to float in the pocket
- Combines excellent long speed (4.56 forty), with elite quickness/acceleration (1.51 10-yard split) and outstanding explosiveness showcased with a 93rd percentile broad jump
- Really tough player - he's played through a number of injuries - good leader
- Accuracy seems to improve when on the run - is a nightmare for the defense when he escapes the pocket
- He’s a pure athlete, loose-limbed and flexible. Thompson-Robinson has the speed to pick up yardage in scramble situations. He's also an elite runner in the RPO game
- He’s good enough as a runner to work read-option plays, keeping back-side defenders in place. Has scored 28 rushing TDs
- Elite arm strength and can easily make all the NFL throws with effortless deep passes. DTR threw the ball at a velocity of 62 mph at the combine which equaled Josh Allen's combine record set in 2018
- Ball placement is a strength. Thompson-Robinson has the natural instincts to make plays when forced to improvise.
- Quick processer - goes through his reads rapidly
- As a passer he's improved every year - from being a run-first QB in 2018 to a more traditional patient QB today
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- At just 6-1 and 200 lbs he has a slim frame and may struggle to remain injury free in a 17-game NFL season
- His long ball is only average - loses accuracy as he is forced to put too much air under his passes
- Has developed a fumbling problem (10 fumbles in 2022)
- Has a wonky release - often throws like a baseball pitcher - slow release
- Thompson-Robinson has a bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot when the pocket gets muddled, and Thompson-Robinson is too often all arm when throwing on the move, sacrificing accuracy.
- Undisiplined average footwork
Scouting Report: SummaryDorian Thompson-Robinson or DTR as he is more commonly known has become an electric playmaker for UCLA. He's an outstanding runner, with elite speed and agility, a live arm, and is instinctive avoiding the rush. He's also a very accurate passer, especially in the short to the intermediate range where he excels, and is a quick processor who cycles through his reads efficiently.
He, however, is small for the position, and this kind of body type isn't suited for his playing style - it's a serious question mark just how long he can stay healthy playing this way. DTR, despite being an experienced college player is still a little too indisciplined in the pocket and has a tendency to take off when he senses pressure.
Overall DTR currently projects as a high-ceiling mid-floor kind of prospect and could go anywhere from the second to the fourth round in the 2023 NFL draft.
Dorian Thompson-Robinson percentiles vs other Quarterback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Update - 04/24/2023DTR had a very mixed combine performance. He aced the straight-line speed drills with a 4.56 forty and 1.51 ten tard split (99th percentile vs other QBs), as well as the broad jump (93rd percentile) but had poor numbers in both the three-cone and shuttle (19th and 28th percentiles respectively). In the throwing drills, he struggled where his accuracy was inconsistent, and didn't look comfortable with long throws.
Dorian Thompson-Robinson Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate Dorian Thompson-Robinson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank