Draft Profile: BioClayton Tune from Hebron High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Tune opted to join Houston.
In 2018 as a freshman Tune saw action in 5 games for the Cougars as he threw for a solid 795 yards on 117 attempts with a completion percent of 50.4 for an average of 6.8 yards per pass, with a solid 8 TDs, while taking 15 sacks, and a solid QB rating of 88.1. He added 26 runs for a total of 164 yards at an average of 6.3 per run.
In 2019 as a sophomore he played in 7 games as he passed for 1531 yards on 181 attempts with a completion percentage of 58.6 for an average of 8.5 yards per pass, with 11 TDs, while also taking 20 sacks, and putting up QB rating of 85.7. He made 48 runs for a total of 380 yards at an average of 7.9 per rush.
As a junior in 2020 Tune played a total of 8 games. He passed for 2040 yards on 287 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 59.2 for an average of 7.1 yards per attempt, with a solid 15 TDs, and allowing 16 sacks, with a QB rating on the year of 84.0. As a runner he logged 58 runs for a total of 352 yards at an average of 6.1 per run.
In 2021 as a senior Tune saw action in 14 games as he threw for an elite 3541 yards on 425 attempts with a completion percent of 67.8 for an average of 8.3 yards per pass, with 30 TDs, while taking 36 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 107.0. He added 81 runs for a total of 384 yards at an average of 4.7 per run.
In 2022 as a fifth-year senior Tune saw action in 12 games as he threw for an impressive 836 yards on 469 attempts with a completion percent of 67.2 for an average of 8.2 yards per pass, with 37 TDs, while taking 23 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 109.5. He added 101 runs for a total of 622 yards at an average of 6.2 per run.
Honors & awardsAs a Senior (2022)
- First-Team All-American Athletic Conference
- Dave Campbell's Texas Football Second-Team All-Texas
- Pro Football Focus (PFF) First-Team All-American Athletic Conference
- Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Semifinalist
- Manning Academic Nike Air-It-Out Winner
- Third nationally in passing touchdowns (40)
- 40 passing touchdowns set American single-season record
- Fifth nationally in passing yards per game (313.4)
- Second nationally in points responsible for per game (21.2)
- Dave Campbell All-State Second Team
- Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Semifinalist
- Single season career-highs in games played (14), completions (287), passing yards (3,550), passing touchdowns (30) and completion percentage (68.3)
- Second in The American in completions, passing yards and touchdowns
- 2,048 passing yards – 25th-most in UH single-season history
- 25th nationally and fourth in The American with 256.0 passing yards per game
- 25th nationally and fifth in The American in total offense per game (287.6)
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Enough arm strength to drive the ball through tight windows up to 20 yards downfield. Spreads the ball around to multiple receivers.
- Super experienced signal-caller has thrown a massive 1506 passes during his five-year career - of which he's put up a combined pro-QB rating of 99.9
- Sees the field very well when the play breaks down and often changes plays at the line.
- Worths through his progression with great discipline - manages to consistently get the ball out even under heavy pressure
- He’s a threat with his legs - his play-fakes are outstanding, and Tune has the ability to manipulate safeties with his eyes.
- Amazing competitor who has led a number of outstanding last-second drives. Excels in the two-minute offense and is clutch in the most difficult of situations
- Tune has enough arm strength and a willingness and ability to throw receivers open, as well as good ball placement out to intermediate levels.
- Excellent accuracy in the short to the intermediate game - elite on seam passes
- He has a quick release and a decent arm, delivering tight spirals, and he shows good touch at the intermediate levels
- Really great leader - who coaches and players have the utmost respect for
- He’s a surprisingly good athlete, loose-limbed and flexible. Tune has the speed to pick up yardage in scramble situations.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Under pressure abandons his reads too quickly and takes too many chances
- Has only average athletic skills and at 216 lbs and 6-3 is a lanky prospect who may not hold from a physical point
- Is mobile but not a big threat as a runner - his 40 time is decent he's far from a twitchy player
- His arm strength is decent but he struggles on deep routes where he will need to put a little too much air under the throw
- Inconsistent mechanics are an issue, though a correctable one.
- Like all Houston QBs the inflated numbers are often regarded as more a product of the offensive system rather than QB play
Player ComparisonBrock Purdy
Scouting Report: SummaryClayton Tune is a super-experienced prospect who has put up huge numbers during five years at Houston. He is a great leader with elite intangibles and an innate ability to up his game in the most clutch situations. He's a decent athlete, who can move well outside but doesn't look to run first. His arm while not elite is good enough and can make all but the deepest of required NFL-level passes and his release is quick enabling him to avoid pressure. Tune's negatives are however very tangible, where he's not close to possessing the prototypical size and strength for the position, although extensive time in an NFL weight room may somewhat mitigate this.
Tune is an interesting prospect who has the talent and intangibles to play immediately although his limited athletic ability will likely put a ceiling on his draft stock. Expect the Houston star to be a bargain if he drops any lower than the fourth round of the 2023 NFL Draft.
Clayton Tune percentiles vs other Quarterback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Update - 02/04/2023Really impressed so far at the Senior Bowl. Displayed impressive accuracy and technical footwork - will slide perfectly into a WC offense. Maybe his inflated numbers at Houston weren't just a product of the system.
How other scouting services rate Clayton Tune (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank