Draft Profile: BioClayton Tune from Hebron High High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Tune opted to join Houston.
In 2018 as a freshman Tune saw action in 5 games for the Cougars as he threw for a decent 795 yards on 117 attempts with a completion percent of 50.4 for an average of 6.8 yards per pass, with a solid 8 TDs, while taking 15 sacks, and a solid QB rating of 88.1. He added 26 runs for a total of 164 yards at an average of 6.3 per run.
In 2019 as a sophomore he played in 7 games as he passed for a solid 1531 yards on 181 attempts with a completion percent of 58.6 for an average of 8.5 yards per pass, with a solid 11 TDs, while also taking 20 sacks, and putting up a solid QB rating of 85.7. He made 48 runs for a total of 380 yards at an average of 7.9 per rush.
As a junior in 2020 Tune played a total of 8 games. He passed for an excellent 2040 yards on 287 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 59.2 for an average of 7.1 yards per attempt, with a solid 15 TDs, and allowing 16 sacks, with a solid QB rating on the year of 84.0. As a runner he logged 58 runs for a total of 352 yards at an average of 6.1 per run.
In 2021 as a senior Tune saw action in 14 games as he threw for an outstanding 3541 yards on 425 attempts with a completion percent of 67.8 for an average of 8.3 yards per pass, with an outstanding 30 TDs, while taking 36 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 107.0. He added 81 runs for a total of 384 yards at an average of 4.7 per run.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Enough arm strength to drive the ball through tight windows up to 20 yards downfield. Spreads the ball around to multiple receivers.
- Sees the field very well when the play breaks down and occasionally changes plays at the line.
- He’s a threat with his legs - his play-fakes are outstanding, and Tune has the ability to manipulate safeties with his eyes.
- Tune has plus arm strength and a willingness and ability to throw receivers open, as well as good ball placement out to intermediate levels.
- He has a quick release and a live arm, delivering tight spirals, and he shows good touch at the intermediate levels
- He’s a pure athlete, loose-limbed and flexible. Tune has the speed to pick up yardage in scramble situations.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Lacks poise in the pocket and abandons his reads too quickly. Takes too many chances.
- His mechanics are hit-or-miss as Tune struggles to remain consistent. His stride is inconsistent, leading to sporadic accuracy.
- Inconsistent mechanics are an issue, though a correctable one.
How other scouting services rate Clayton Tune (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank