Drafted: ROUND: 1 - Pick Number: 5 (NYG)
Draft Profile: BioThibodeaux has looked likely to be a top pick in the 2022 NFL draft since high school. A highly regarded five-star prospect, he was the No. 2 overall recruit in the 2019 class and received offers from 27 schools, including Alabama and USC. He committed instead to the Ducks and has been a starter since his true freshman season.
Since then he has racked up an impressive 83 pressures and 15 sacks on his 591 pass-rushing snaps and been voted First Team All-Pac-12, as well as winning the Morris Trophy as the conference’s best lineman.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Challenges inside with quickness and strong hands. Run-and-chase defender who can leave a mark.
- Thibodeaux is a supreme pass-rusher with great speed and size.
- Plays with leverage at the point of attack whether inside or outside. Keeps eyes in the backfield when inside; moves linemen to either side with strong hands.
- Looks the part. Possesses a long, athletic build with room for additional muscle mass. Flashes a burst off the snap, good enough to cross the face of collegiate tackles and put him in position to make big plays behind the line of scrimmage.
- Flashes nimble feet to chase running backs and mobile quarterbacks to the side-line when lined up at the end. Spins off blocks to get back into the play.
- Offers versatility, rushing from a two-and three-point stance with the playing speed to stand up in space. Flashes strength as a bull rusher and his energy doesn't plateau.
- He has the classic frame and long arms.
- Tremendous explosion; accelerates low with power. Relentless blindside pursuit; tracks down ball carriers across the field.
- Good lateral agility to elude. Plays on the balls of his feet and shows enough balance and flexibility to quickly turn and pursue laterally and downfield..
- He is versatile enough to convert to 3-4 outside linebacker or move inside to rush the passer.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Not always the first player off the snap, even when lined up over the ball, but his length, effort, and short-area quickness still pressures double teams and helps penetrate gaps.
- Stands up well against the run but is very pursuit-conscious and can take unneeded wide angles.
- A little raw, may take a while to make an impact in the NFL.
Scouting Report: SummaryThibodeaux has out-of-this-world athletic ability and as a result, is in the running for being the top pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. He isn't the perfect prospect however and despite his amazing gifts has probably not dominated to the extent we would have hoped. This year he has only put up six sacks - a number not expected of the presumptive top pass rusher in the class. Still, if he isn't picked in the top three it will be a major shock.
Kayvon Thibodeaux percentiles vs other Defensive End's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Kayvon Thibodeaux (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank