A four-star high school prospect, Jackson ranked as the 10th-best player in California. During a senior year where he was named All-Big VIII League Co-MVP after making another 27 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 5 tackles for loss, and 6 pass deflections, Jackson visited USC, Arizona State, Oregon, Washington, and Illinois. During his 11 games as a starter in 2019, Jackson led the team in tackles for loss (11.5) and sacks (5.5). His performances earned him an honorable mention for the Pac-12 Defensive Freshman of the Year. Jackson was still one of the top pass rushers in the sport in 2020. In six starts as a sophomore, he tallied 20 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, and 1 interception. In the regular-season finale against UCLA, Jackson received Pac-12 Defensive Lineman of the Week merits after generating 5 tackles, including 2.5 tackles for loss. Jackson can easily follow in former USC DE Williams as a first-round selection in the NFL Draft and should be a quality prosepct.
- Good closing speed with long arms to drag down quarterbacks and running backs.
- Has enough athleticism to drop in coverage and penetrate the pocket. Has good experience as a four-year starter.
- Reacts well to draw plays and misdirection, sniffs out screens to his side of the field. Keeps his eyes in the backfield when rushing the passer and uses hands and strength to stay in the play.
- Gives effort between the tackles to find the ball and is willing to take on linemen.
- Flashes closing speed and agility to reach passers from the blind side or up the middle before they can escape.
- Good all-around athlete with very good short-area quickness and fluidity. Very good playing strength and has worked hard in the weight room, adding bulk and filling out his frame.
- Builds to top speed but must take the right line to beat backs to the edge.
- Inconsistent getting off blocks from smaller offensive players gets moved or out-positioned and forced to chase down plays from behind.
- Height leaves him susceptible to cut blocks he must learn to defeat with his hands.
How other scouting services rate Drake Jackson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank