Drafted: ROUND: 1 - Pick Number: 1 (JAX)
Draft Profile: BioTravon Walker was a standout at High School at both basketball and football but was recruited more heavily for his football prowess. After his senior season, he was selected to represent the East in the 2019 All-American Bowl following this, ESPN ranked him as the 24th best prospect in the entire 2019 class.
He opted to join Georgia where as a freshman he played in 12 of 14 games and finished with 15 total stops, including 2.5 sacks and 3.5 tackles for loss while adding eight QB pressures. As a result, he was awarded with a place on the Freshman All-SEC Team and was co-winner of the Defensive Newcomer of the Year award.
in 2020 as a sophomore, he played in only 200 snaps and put up 3 QB hits, 8 hurries, with just one sack.
As a junior he had his most impressive season chalking up 5 sacks, 7 QB hits, and 15 Hurries he also added 26 tackles while playing in 521 snaps.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Walker has superior size and length with elite athleticism and top-level speed - ran a ridiculous 4.51 at the combine while weighing in at 272 lbs
- Has the long arms you look for - that allows him to keep offensive lineman at bay
- Can make the impressive chest-to-chest bear hug tackle in the hole due to his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield
- Has the frame to add more weight without slowing him down significantly
- Very powerful at the point of attack. Can dominate offensive lineman who have 40 pounds on him
- A coordinated quick-twitch athlete with a lightning-quick first step and natural explosion as an outside passrusher
- Versitile - can play multiple spots along the line. Played at 290 lbs as a freshman and sophomore at DT before moving to DE as a junior dropping to 275 lbs
- Naturally explosive player with decent get-off speed. Balanced through contact and stout against double-teams. Tackles through the ball. Versatile and has the body type to play many roles.
- Get lateral movement skills allowing him to track runningbacks edge to edge in the run defense
- Combines strength and footwork to fill holes inside, as well. Recovers from cut blocks or falling on his way to make a tackle.
- Vision to locate the ball and recognize cut blocks. Can rip past blockers and pull down ball carriers when he cannot fully disengage from linemen.
- May be the biggest freak in the draft - who will now likely be viewed as an edge rusher with top-level potential
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Walker is rawer than you would hope for given three years college experience and in passing rush moves as he does not show a consistent counter move
- Walker sometimes struggles to get off blocks and has been slow tracking the football
- Has the initial burst off the snap but only phone-booth quickness overall and doesn't make as many plays behind the line of scrimmage as his ability to penetrate would indicate.
- Doesn't have a depth of pass rush moves - wins with combo of speed and power instead of good technique. He won't be able to do this at the next level
- Doesn't wrap up tackles as you would expect given his power and strength. Too often lets ball carriers out of his grasp
- Never has put up great numbers while at Georgia - he only registered a total of 11 sacks in three years. He nearly vanished from the game against Alabama in his biggest test
Scouting Report: SummaryTravon Walker is a prospect who is still a better athlete than a football player. He has an elite combination of size, strength, and speed and possesses immense upside to dominate in the pros. He however has, for the most part, underperformed at college given his athletic ability and really needs to improve his craft before he is worth a very high selection in the 2022 NFL Draft.
Lately Walker has been shooting up draft boards of late - with some mocks predicting a top-three spot based on his upside and versatility, however, we consider him as a little too boom-busty to warrant a super high selection and expect him to be a mid to late first-round pick.
How other scouting services rate Travon Walker (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank