Draft Profile: BioJC Latham from IMG Academy High School was rated a 5-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Latham opted to join Alabama.
In 2021 as a freshman Latham saw action in 9 games and played a total of 142 snaps for the Crimson Tide. He allowed just 2 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks while playing most of his snaps at right guard.
As a sophomore in 2022 he played in 12 games and a total of 821 snaps. He conceded 10 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks while playing at right tackle.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- When his hand placement is right, Latham has a strong grip that allows him to effectively engage opponents. He plays with a mean streak and maintains aggression through the whistle. Though, he needs to work on consistently leveraging his power and functional strength.
- Finds defenders with his hands immediately and gets feet moving to engage and sustain.
- Has broad shoulders and occasionally displays the playing strength and power to overwhelm at the point of attack. However, he needs to work on consistently exhibiting this trait.
- Plays with appropriate wide base and intelligence, instincts and agility to seal the edge. Aggressive extending with power to punch and looks comfortable in space.
- Latham is a good mover for someone his size, possessing agile feet that serve him well in pass-protection sets. However, he could improve on his footwork, particularly when dealing with quickness.
- He’s at his best fighting in a phone booth as a run blocker, where his size and strength, combined with his natural knee bend and leverage, can take over.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Latham occasionally bends at the waist and doesn't consistently utilize his power and functional strength, leading to lapses in his performance. A notable issue is that he often gets caught dropping his head, a bad habit that needs to be corrected.
- Can be beaten off the edge coming out of his stance, particularly when lunging to reach speedy wide rushers.
- Though he has shown good footwork at times, Latham tends to struggle with quickness, leading to instances of reaching and lunging. Improving his footwork could significantly enhance his game.
How other scouting services rate JC Latham (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank