Draft Profile: BioTyree Wilson from West Rusk High School was rated a 75-star prospect by ESPN with a scout's rating of 75. After high school, Wilson joined Texas A&M.
In 2019 as a freshman Wilson saw action in 9 games and played a total of 132 snaps for the Aggies. He recorded just 7 tackles, no assists, while adding 8 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 6 total pressures, which included 3 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 2 sacks on the season.
After the season's end Wilson transferred to Texas Tech where as a sophomore for the Red Raiders in 2020 Wilson played 9 games and took part in 388 snaps for the Red Raiders. He recorded only 6 tackles, 3 assists while adding 5 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 19 total pressures, and 15 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 2 sacks during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Wilson played in 13 games and contributed on 605 snaps. He recorded 25 tackles, 7 assists while making 24 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 37 total pressures, which included 26 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and a descent 6 sacks on the year.
In 2022 as a senior Wilson logged playing time in 10 games on a total of 538 snaps for the Red Raiders. He also added 37 tackles, 15 assists, and 32 stops. As a pass rusher, he tallied a huge 50 total pressures, which included 32 QB hurries, 10 QB hits, and an impressive 8 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s ready for the physicality of the NFL; Wilson has a stout build, strong core and powerful limbs to step in right away as a three-down player.
- Elite arm length and large wingspan - Quick to use his length and engage blockers
- He’s flexible enough to bend the edge, and he’s at his best when he can use his quickness and change-of-direction abilities to counter back inside.
- Adequate change-of-direction agility and straight-line speed to contain.
- Great strength in shedding offensive linemen with ease
- Able to use momentum, size and speed to knock back linemen
- Highly athletic to be able to chase down plays backside
- Can get a great start at the snap and converts size and speed into power
- Strong tackler, rarely misses tackles
- As a pass rusher, he shows quickness off the line and has the fluid athleticism and flexibility to bend the edge.
- High-effort, thickly built defender with good strength and the leverage to create a pile. Locates_ the ball quickly and pursues with passion, showing_ good lateral agility while extending the play to the sideline.
- A savvy, versatile, and instinctive edge rusher who did a little bit of everything, he was especially effective getting to the quarterback.
- Able to play as a 4-3 defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker - classic edge
- Explosive first step and long striding
- Athletic mismatch against guards
- Play strength to play through contact and has impressive strong handst
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- While Wilson was able to physically overpower opponents at the college, he will have to develop a wider repertoire of moves in the pros.
- Not a natural bender and lacks fluid change-of-direction ability. Plays with inconsistent pad level and is often knocked backward off the snap.
- Not explosive as a pass rusher or run defender. Lacks elite speed and flexibility to turn the corner and is late off the snap.
- He lacks the quickness to consistently make impact plays rushing the quarterback
- Does not consistently show the agility to move in tight spaces to get to the quarterback
- Doesn't display the hand-eye coordination to use his hands effectively to shed blockers
- Inability to effectively seal on run plays
Scouting Report: SummaryWilson is one of the top edge prospects in the 2023 NFL Draft, possessing the physical attributes necessary to make an immediate impact. He has the arm length, frame, explosiveness, and power that make him a great pass rusher. He's consistently put up outstanding pressure numbers during his four years at Texas Tech.
He isn't the perfect prospect, however, and while a good overall athlete his speed isn't elite and so may struggle to get outside the best pro pass protectors. Expect Wilson to be selected in the second half of the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft.
Tyree Wilson percentiles vs other Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Tyree Wilson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank