Draft Profile: BioNick Herbig from St Louis High School was rated a 4 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Herbig opted to join Wisconsin.
In 2020 as a freshman Herbig saw action in 7 games and played on a total of 343 snaps for the Badgers. He recorded 23 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 17 stops. In coverage Herbig notched up no pass break ups, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 79.2. As a pass rusher, he added 5 total pressures, which included 2 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack on the season.
As a sophomore for the Badgers in 2021 Herbig played in 13 games and took part on 647 snaps for the Badgers. He recorded 42 tackles, 14 assists, while adding 36 stops. In coverage Herbig made 2 pass break ups, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 108.6. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 41 total pressures, and 26 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and 9 sacks during the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Keeps feet moving after initial contact. Jumps inside as a counter to typical rush, but needs to show a larger variety of moves.
- Plays fast, flows with the action, showing smooth lateral agility and short-area burst. Has good instincts and awareness to quickly find the ball.
- Ferocious against the run and very good in coverage, is extremely versatile. Despite his build, he holds up well in traffic and makes a lot of plays by engaging a block, shedding, and pursuing.
- Looks the part. Good height and a thick, muscular build. Long arms. Good overall athleticism and straight-line speed.
- Reads quarterbacks eyes and reacts quickly to targets in zone coverage.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Loses size battle to many tight ends and is easily pushed away on out routes.
- Possesses below-average instincts for the linebacker position. Leaves more plays on the field than he makes.
How other scouting services rate Nick Herbig (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank