Draft Profile: BioConsensus three-star prospect when scouted by all scouting services.
Dohnovan West started all four games during the shortened 2020 season as well as every game in 2019.
He received a Pac-12 All-Conference Honorable Mention and was Pro Football Focus Pac-12 Third Team Offensive Guard.
Going into his Junior year, Dohnovan has made the 2021 Outland Trophy Preseason Watch List and is slated to start at Center for the Sun Devils. Firmly established as one of the premium Guards in college football and his ability to play center will be a bill for NFL teams.
With his athletic ability, if he continues to improve it's likely he could go in the first round of the 2022 NFL draft.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Sells trap block and can turn to seal. Fluid getting to and adjust at the second level.
- Has the feet to adjust when he anticipates what's coming. Effective trapping and bends at the knees with adequate core strength to absorb the bull rush. Can clear a path at the second level if he hits the target.
- West is a smooth mover who does some of his best work moving laterally, profiling as an ideal zone guard at the next level
- Has average height with a narrow base out of his stance. Needs to get stronger in his lower half to anchor at the point of attack.
- Plays with appropriate wide base and intelligence, instincts, and agility to seal the edge. Aggressive extending with power to punch and looks comfortable in space.
- Lone concern is handling the superquick NFL edge rusher. Foot speed and quickness are very good, but not elite.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Loses leverage battles and plays with high pad level. Can be late off the snap.
- Needs to work on his technique in pass protection, using more consistent leverage and continuing to move his feet.
- His awareness currently needs a little work. West can get locked in early in reps, can struggle to redirect against movement upfront.
- Stops his feet after initial contact, relying on length but allowing the defender to get the corner or spin inside.
- Needs to prove his worth in a straight-ahead running game.
How other scouting services rate Dohnovan West (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank