Draft Profile: BioJustin Walley from D'Iberville High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Walley opted to join Minnesota.
In 2021 as a freshman Walley saw action in 12 games and played a total of 471 snaps at cornerback for the Golden Gophers. He recorded 23 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 6 stops. In coverage Walley notched up 6 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 89.7.
As a sophomore in 2022 he played in 12 games and logged 540 snaps for the Golden Gophers. He made 29 tackles, 3 assists, and had 12 stops. In coverage he totaled no pass breakups, 3 interceptions, and an outstanding QB rating when targetted of 49.2.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has quick feet and excellent change-of-direction ability, capable of mirroring quickness underneath.
- Reads receivers' routes and anticipates throws at the first down marker. Covers a lot of ground in a hurry when in space. Reads the quarterback's eyes and sees the routes very quickly, then has straight-line speed to arrive with or just after the ball.
- Shows good instincts when facing the action in zone coverage, and Walley has solid ball skills.
- Has the quick feet to mirror receivers underneath. Walley also has the fluid hips and top-end speed to turn and run downfield. Walley shows good awareness when dropping into zone coverage, with good route recognition and the ability to break quickly and cover a lot of ground.
- Has legitimate NFL-caliber cover skills. Has a quick, low backpedal with a fluid hip turn to cover receivers down the field.
- Should excel as a zone defender because of his closing speed to wrap receivers after the catch.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Suspect technician who too often lets the action come to him and energy and effort are too inconsistent.
- Grab-and-drag tackler who will struggle to make plays against running backs, and he’ll be susceptible to some catch-and-run plays against bigger receivers.
- He's not a tenacious tacker and plays the position with a wide receiver's mentality.
How other scouting services rate Justin Walley (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank