Draft Profile: BioStarling Thomas V attended Ramsay High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.831, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Thomas V opted to join UAB.
In 2018 as a freshman Thomas V saw action in 10 games and played a total of 236 snaps at Cornerback for the Blazers. He recorded 10 tackles, no assists, while adding 3 stops. In coverage Thomas V notched up 3 pass breakups, no interceptions, and a very good QB rating when targetted of 74.2.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 14 games and logged 665 snaps for the Blazers. He made 23 tackles, 6 assists, and had 8 stops. In coverage he totaled 2 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 95.4.
In 2021 as a junior Thomas V played in 13 games and contributed on 717 snaps. He chalked up 35 tackles, 6 assists, and added 11 stops. In the secondary Thomas V forced 9 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 93.3.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Long-armed press corner with size, athleticism and ball skills.
- Tracks the ball well and has the natural ball skills for forcing turnovers.
- Great on route recognition and has click-and-close ability
- In the run game, he’s aggressive coming downhill and a sure tackler.
- Has a powerful punch at the line of scrimmage and can deliver it while moving his feet. Thomas V also has the powerful core and hips to stick to a receiver downfield and escort him to the sideline
- Long and fast and has the ability to dominate receivers as a press corner. Thomas V has a strong punch that upsets receivers early in the route, and Thomas V has the straight-line speed to recover downfield if he loses early.
- He’ll have some limitations in man coverage, but he should develop into a serviceable starter.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Might not be the kind of pure shutdown corner that the top prospects in this draft have the skill set to become, but offers scheme versatility and the ability to slide inside and cover the slot.
- Like a lot of collegiate corners, Thomas V has a tendency to get grabby, something that will have to be coached out of him.
- Feet aren’t ideal, as he gets sloppy in his backpedal and can be sluggish when transitioning to close on the ball.
How other scouting services rate Starling Thomas V (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank