Drafted: ROUND: 1 - Pick Number: 16 (WSH)
Draft Profile: BioEmmanuel Forbes attended Grenada High School and was rated a 4-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.920 and given a 4-star by ESPN. Following high school, Forbes opted to join Mississippi State after being heavily recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Forbes immediately saw action and played in 11 games while totaling 701 snaps at cornerback for the Bulldogs. He recorded 33 tackles, 11 assists, while adding 12 stops. In coverage, Forbes notched up 5 pass breakups, an impressive 5 interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 88.2.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 13 games and logged 757 snaps for the Bulldogs. He made 55 tackles, 4 assists, and had 32 stops. In coverage, he totaled 5 pass breakups, 3 interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 90.0.
In 2022 as a junior Forbes played in 11 games and contributed on 668 snaps. He chalked up 36 tackles, 5 assists, and added 17 stops. In the secondary, Forbes forced 6 pass breakups, an impressive 6 interceptions, and gave up an outstanding QB rating when targetted of just 42.8.
Honors & awards
- Owns the FBS career record with six pick-sixes
- 2022 Second-Team All-America (AP)
- 2022 SEC Defensive Player of the Week (Texas A&M)
- 2020 Phil Steele All-SEC Second Team
- 2020 Freshman All-SEC (DB)
- 2020 247Sports True Freshman All-America (DB)
- 2020 AP All-Bowl Team
Scouting Report: Strengths
- His length and leaping ability allow him to high-point the ball and make plays. Forbes would have had bigger interception numbers in college had opposing quarterbacks not gone out of their way to avoid him.
- Shows good instincts when facing the action in zone coverage
- Has elite speed demonstrated by 4.35 combine performance - consistently ran stride for stride with the top WRs in the SEC with ease
- Forbes is a total ball hawk with elite ball skills -has a record six pick-sixes during his college career
- Dominates in contested catch situations and combines decent length and elite leaping ability with excellent timing enabling him to get his hands on the ball
- Ideallt suited as a classic press corner. Mirrors receiver's actions closely even on deep routes - very sticky
- Excellent in the run game - shows safety-like skills in tracking backs out of the backfield. He Plays much more physically than you would expect given his 180lb frame
- Can track the ball downfield and gets his head around when playing in a trail position, and he shows excellent ball skills when breaking on a route. He’s a plus tackler in run support as well.
- Very fluid mover with a top gear - his length allows him to cover effectively downfield
- Flashes elite ball skills. Forbes has the fluidity and change-of-direction ability to mirror quicker receivers underneath.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has a limited frame - looks even leaner than his listed 180lbs. It's unlikely he'll be able to continue to play with the same aggressive style in the NFL and stay healthy
- At this point, Forbes can get outmuscled. He also might be susceptible to catch and- run plays. He’ll give effort in run support, but he’s going to struggle to get off blocks against physical outside receivers.
- Needs to develop a better understanding of route combinations and better overall vision.
- Takes too many poor angles to the ball carrier and often looks undisciplined and over-aggressive as a tackler in the run game
- His appetite for crashing down against the run came and went in college, and he’s likely to get walled off easily by bigger receivers
Scouting Report: SummaryEmmanuel Forbes is an athletic prospect with excellent tight-man coverage skills, the elite speed required to run with the fastest receivers in man coverage, good overall length, who's aggressive in run defense, and a real ball hawk. He however looks very slight - at just 180lbs limiting his ability to dominate long-term physically at the next level. The combine was huge for Forbes where his performance put him in contention for a spot in the first round of the 2023 NFL draft.
Emmanuel Forbes percentiles vs other Cornerback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Update - 04/07/2023Forbes answered his biggest question mark at the combine with an outstanding performance in the forty of 4.35. He was widely expected to run a 4.6 - his stock is way up!
Emmanuel Forbes Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate Emmanuel Forbes (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank