Draft Profile: BioCam Smith attended Westwood High School and was rated a 4-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.940, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Smith opted to join South Carolina after being heavily recruited.
In 2019 as a freshman Smith saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 40 snaps at cornerback for the Gamecocks. He recorded just 4 tackles, 2 assists, while adding no stops. In coverage Smith notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 158.3.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 8 games and logged 253 snaps for the Gamecocks. He made 12 tackles, one assist, and had 3 stops. In coverage he totaled one pass breakup, 2 interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 101.5.
In 2021 as a junior Smith played in 11 games and contributed on 473 snaps. He chalked up 35 tackles, 4 assists, and added 13 stops. In the secondary Smith forced 9 pass breakups, 3 interceptions, and gave up an elite QB rating when targetted of 36.5.
In 2022 as a senior Smith saw action in 11 games while playing 591 snaps. He logged 20 tackles, 4 assists, and made 4 stops. In coverage Smith had 6 pass breakups, one interception, and surrendered an impressive QB rating when targetted of 71.3.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Stays low in his backpedal and shows the click-and-close ability to break up plays in front of him. Smith can move well laterally and shows excellent instincts when looking into the backfield in zone coverage.
- Shows good instincts when facing the action in zone coverage, and Smith has solid ball skills.
- Has the length and speed to emerge as a starter two or three years down the line.
- Explodes out of his backpedal and has exceptional closing speed, showing excellent timing and the ball skills to come up with the interception.
- Has the quick feet to mirror receivers underneath. He also has the fluid hips and top-end speed to turn and run downfield. Smith shows good awareness when dropping into zone coverage, with good route recognition and the ability to break quickly and cover a lot of ground.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Isn’t great in route recognition when he’s facing the action, is hesitant and susceptible to double moves, and too often gets unnecessarily handsy when playing trail position
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
- Fails to maintain inside technique in man coverage. Not a typical press corner.
- Holds the ball loosely after making the interception. Inconsistent in run support. Average tackler
Cam Smith percentiles vs other Cornerback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Cam Smith (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank