Drafted: ROUND: 4 - Pick Number: 137 (NE)
Draft Profile: BioBailey Zappe wasn't highly recruited out of high school despite throwing for 3,770 yards with 650 rushing yards and 52 total touchdowns as a senior. He only received a single scholarship offer - from FCS Houston Baptist.
Zappe played extensively as a freshman and put up decent numbers - but it wasn't until his sophomore season that he exploded onto the scene putting up 2822 yds with 23 TDs in the air. He followed up with an improved performance as a junior - chalking up 3811 yds and a record 35TDs.
In the COVID shortened season of 2020, his efficiency increased further with a QB rating of 159.3 and 317.6 YDs per game which ranked second in the nation.
Zappe looking to test himself against a higher level of competition decided to transfer to Western Kentucky ahead of the 2021 season. His season has simply been incredible as he put up video game numbers - with 5967 yds (597.8 YDs per game) and 62 TDs with a rating of 168.9 while starting 15 games. He capped this amazing performance with an equally impressive performance over Appalachian State in the Boca Raton Bowl, becoming the FBS leader in single-season passing yards and single-season passing touchdowns.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Put up incredible numbers at both levels of college football - always seems to exceed expectations
- Enough arm strength to drive the ball through tight windows up to 20 yards downfield. Spreads the ball around to multiple receivers.
- Impressive accuracy on short and intermediate-range passes - he's made a number of pinpoint throws
- Smart quarterback - a general on the field - very quick processor with an equally quick release
- Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
- Gets the ball out quickly, making ·splitsecond decisions. Good short to intermediate level accuracy, demonstrating the ball placement to allow receivers to run after the catch.
- Good (not elite) arm strength and can easily make all the NFL throws with effortless deep passes.
- Faster than you would expect - he ran track in high school
- Possesses very good vision balance, is more elusive than billed
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.
- He doesn't have elite arm strength - and struggles to drive the deep ball - often has to put a little too much air under it
- Not athletic isn't a great a great scrambler although doesn't panic
- Marginal height, which will prove more of a detriment in an offense that asks him to drop back from center more often.
- Sails throws to either sideline; receivers make him look good with acrobatic catches. Back-foot throws are not accurate. Sometimes trusts his arm too much, trying to stick passes late in the play or when off-balance.
- Air raid QB who may struggle to adjust to the pro game
- He's a good runner but his accuracy drops considerably when he's on the move and especially when he's chased from the pocket
Scouting Report: SummaryBailey Zappe is one of 2022 NFL Draft's most intriguing prospects. He has put up recording setting numbers at all levels of the game and has always exceeded any expectations.
A year ago he was looked at as a late-round/UDFA prospect who put up crazy numbers against low-level competition - but after a transition to the higher level and putting up even better numbers scouts are taking notice.
He does have some physical limitations: he's small for the position, doesn't have elite arm strength, and played in an air raid offense - so a transition to the pro leaves the odds stacked against him. But Zappe has been underestimated his entire career and always overcome obstacles - we consider him to have a good shot at some point to become a starter at the next level.
Zappe represents good value as a third/fourth-round prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft.
How other scouting services rate Bailey Zappe (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank