Draft Profile: BioDenzel Burke from Saguaro High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Burke opted to join Ohio State after being heavily recruited.
In 2021 as a freshman Burke saw action in 13 games and played a total of 734 snaps at cornerback for the Buckeyes. He recorded 31 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 3 stops. In coverage Burke notched up 9 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 58.3.
As a sophomore in 2022 he played in 10 games and logged 526 snaps for the Buckeyes. He made 27 tackles, one assist, and had 10 stops. In coverage he totaled 5 pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 100.7.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s tall-framed with long arms to match. With his powerful hands, straight-line speed, and fluidity in his hips, turning and chasing downfield is usually not a problem.
- His length and leaping ability allow him to high-point the ball and make plays. Burke would have had bigger interception numbers in college had opposing quarterbacks not gone out of their way to avoid him.
- Has a nice blend of length, speed, and quickness. He’s at his best mirroring routes underneath, showing fluid movement skills with some room for improvement in change of direction.
- His ball skills are tremendous, with good hands and the potential to take it to the house any time Burke gets his hands on the ball.
- Can get up on the line of scrimmage and deliver a solid punch early in routes, then use that quickness to shadow, or back off and close quickly when the ball comes out
- Burke tracks the ball well and does a nice job of getting his head around in plenty of time to avoid flags.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Needs to work on his timing and read on big plays, despite his recovery speed, he has occasionally allowed big plays in college.
- Despite his size, he’s not an overly physical tackler. Burke might have to add some weight at the next level in order to become more physical.
- Footwork needs improvement, as he gets sloppy in his backpedal and can be sluggish when transitioning to close on the ball.
How other scouting services rate Denzel Burke (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank