Draft Profile: BioTyler Van Dyke from Suffield Academy High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports after finishing the 2019 season with 2,260 passing yards and 21 touchdowns while completing 123 of his 200 pass attempts. He totaled over 4,600 passing yards and 39 passing touchdowns over his final two varsity seasons.
Following high school, Van Dyke opted to join Miami.
In 2020 as a freshman Van Dyke saw action in one game for the Hurricanes as he threw for no yards on 2 attempts with a completion percentage of 0 for an average of 0.0 yards per pass, with no TDs, while taking one sack, and a QB rating of 39.6. He added 45 runs for a total of 155 yards at an average of 3.4 per run.
In 2021 as a sophomore he played in 10 games as he passed for 2918 yards on 326 attempts with a completion percentage of 62 for an average of 9.0 yards per pass, with 25 TDs, while also taking 23 sacks, and putting up a QB rating of 108.9. After the first year as starting quarterback, he earned ACC Rookie of the Year and ACC Offensive Rookie of the Year honors.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Surprisingly athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time
- Able to make all passes you need and has the live arm enabling him to fire frozen ropes from acute angles
- Fast processor and moves through his reads with confidence and speed. Able to look off the safety and beat the defense deep
- Flashes anticipation and placement on intermediate outs and the ability to lead receivers on deeper throws.
- Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry. Has the zip to hit tight windows on short and intermediate throws.
- Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
- Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes.
- Big athlete with good height and stands tall in the pocket to survey. the field. Uses good technique, squaring his shoulders to the target and stepping into his throws.
- Good height and impressive build - prototypical for the position
- Has produced good numbers despite being surrounded by a subpar supporting talent
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Sails throws to either sideline; receivers make him look good with acrobatic catches. Back-foot throws are not always accurate
- Has a tendency to make bad decisions at key moments during the game
- Too often fails to give receivers a chance to make a play after the catch. His low interception rate has been padded by a number of key drops
Scouting Report: SummaryTyler Van Dyke is an excellent prospect with a strong arm and very good accuracy, however, he's very raw and currently is too inconsistent to be a ready prospect. Fortunately, Van Dyke will have another year to hone his skills and hopefully, for him, he'll also be provided with more offensive weapons enabling him to showcase his talents. If he has a good year Van Dyke has a good chance to firmly establish himself as the third-best QB in the 2023 NFL Draft.
How other scouting services rate Tyler Van Dyke (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank