Draft Profile: BioBen Bywater from Olympus High School was rated a 2-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Bywater joined BYU.
In 2019 as a freshman Bywater saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 42 snaps at linebacker for the Cougars. He recorded just 7 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 3 stops. In coverage Bywater notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 93.3.
As a sophomore for the Cougars in 2020 Bywater played in 3 games and took part in 36 snaps for the Cougars. He recorded just 7 tackles, one assist, while adding 5 stops.
In 2021 as a junior Bywater played in 13 games and contributed on 646 snaps. He recorded solid 81 tackles, 29 assists while making 40 stops. In coverage Bywater chalked up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 128.7. As a pass rusher, he produced 5 total pressures, which included one QB hurry, 3 QB hits, and one sack on the year.
In 2022 as a senior Bywater logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 590 snaps for the Cougars. He also added solid 60 tackles, 22 assists, and 29 stops. While in coverage Bywater made no pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 62.0. As a pass rusher, he tallied 4 total pressures, which included 2 QB hurries, one QB hit, and one sack on the season.
In 2023 as a fifth year senior Bywater logged playing time in just 3 games and logged a total of 164 snaps for the Cougars. He also added 15 tackles, 3 assists, and 10 stops. While in coverage Bywater made no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 103.7. As a pass rusher, he tallied 5 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has a filled-out frame with good thickness. Plays at full speed at all times with an active motor and determined quickness in pursuit.
- Bywater has an excellent feel for working off blockers and knowing how and when to counter as the play goes on.
- In coverage, Bywater shows excellent awareness and anticipation when dropping back into zone, and he has the fluidity and speed to run with most tight ends over the middle.
- The talent is there as a sideline-to-sideline playmaker.
- Keeps feet moving after initial contact. Jumps inside as a counter to typical rush, but needs to show a larger variety of moves.
- Bywater has good movement skills with decent range. And he proved capable of holding up in zone coverage and can be used as an effective A-gap blitzer.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Does not blow up targets. Many inside tackles are catch-and-drags, which will be more difficult to make at the next level.
- As good as Bywater is attacking downhill, he can get overaggressive and overrun plays, opening up cutback lanes for counter runs.
- Hits up high and misses more tackles than he should.
How other scouting services rate Ben Bywater (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank