Draft Profile: BioShaka Heyward from Mill Creek High High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Heyward joined Duke.
In 2018 as a freshman Heyward saw action in just one game and played a total of 3 snaps at linebacker for the Blue Devils. He recorded no tackles, no assists, while adding no stops.
As a sophomore for the Blue Devils in 2019 Heyward played in 10 games and took part in 484 snaps for the Blue Devils. He recorded 48 tackles, 11 assists, while adding 25 stops. In coverage Heyward made one pass breakup, one interception, and a QB rating when targetted of 56.3. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 15 total pressures, and 6 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 4 sacks during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Heyward played in 11 games and contributed on 717 snaps. He recorded decent 60 tackles, 17 assists while making 35 stops. In coverage Heyward chalked up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 130.5. As a pass rusher, he produced 16 total pressures, which included 9 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Heyward logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 834 snaps for the Blue Devils. He also added decent 59 tackles, 30 assists, and 36 stops. While in coverage Heyward made one pass breakup, one interception, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 128.1. As a pass rusher, he tallied 20 total pressures, which included 11 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the season.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Heyward logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 749 snaps for the Blue Devils. He also added decent 67 tackles, 27 assists, and 34 stops. While in coverage Heyward made 5 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 85.1. As a pass rusher, he tallied 14 total pressures, which included 10 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 3 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Heyward has good movement skills with decent range. And Heyward proved capable of holding up in zone coverage and can be used as an effective A-gap blitzer.
- He disrupts plays in the backfield regularly. He also has the agility and pure speed to cover sideline to sideline, moving like a safety and then finishing as a violent and consistent tackler.
- He’s rangy and instinctive when he’s looking into the backfield as a zone defender.
- Is a gifted athlete with an impressive frame and a lot of raw ability. Heyward needs to get stronger to do more damage at the point of attack and is very unpolished with the mental aspect of the position. Streaky instincts and anticipation.
- His fluidity and speed allow him to cover a lot of ground when dropping back into zone, and he is capable of turning and running with tight ends.
- Physical at the point of attack and works hard to shed blocks. Enjoys contact and is a forceful tackler. Effective blitzer with the speed to reach the backfield and create backside pressure.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Limited vision and is easily fooled by misdirection. Lacks range and lateral agility in coverage.
- Possesses below-average instincts for the linebacker position. Leaves more plays on the field than Heyward makes.
- Heyward lacks elite traits in the pass rush and will need to develop a counter move.
Shaka Heyward percentiles vs other Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Shaka Heyward (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank