Draft Profile: BioRylie Mills from Lake Forest High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Mills joined Notre Dame after being heavily recruited.
In 2020 as a freshman Mills saw action in 10 games and played a total of 141 snaps for the Fighting Irish. He recorded just 4 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 2 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 6 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, one QB hit, and one sack on the season.
As a sophomore for the Fighting Irish in 2021 Mills played in 13 games and took part in 270 snaps for the Fighting Irish. He recorded just 9 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 8 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 19 total pressures, and 13 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 3 sacks during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Mills played in 12 games and contributed on 381 snaps. He recorded just 9 tackles, 11 assists while making 10 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 21 total pressures, which included 14 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 4 sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Mills displays good lateral movement skills, capable of working his way down the line with decent range when chasing in pursuit.
- Despite his relatively tall frame, Mills typically plays with a low enough pad level and natural power to push the pocket with the bull rush.
- Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #56. He wrote "The 6-5, 292-pound former high school discus thrower and shot putter is a player to watch. Mills, who had three sacks in 2021, is really strong, having benched 420 this offseason, but also moves very well, clocking 19 mph on the GPS. Mills’ explosiveness also is reflected in his hang clean peak output of 2828 and his power clean peak output of 2,854 — both totals are higher than his super freaky linemate Isaiah Foskey (2,674, 2,696, respectively)."
- He’s a high-motor player, and he shows good enough hand use, as well as a tight spin move, to win as an edge rusher.
- He could be molded to fit as a three-technique, five-technique, or edge rusher at the next level. Mills has the ability to thrive as a versatile pass rusher as well as a run stuffer.
- His long limbs and strong core strength allow him to power through blockers, and he has the flexibility to loop inside and get home on twists.
- Has the long arms and hand strength to win at the point consistently; strong throughout the upper body and has good agility for his size.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Stands up well against the run but is very pursuit-conscious and will take unneeded wide angles.
- Because Mills doesn’t show much variety in his pass-rush moves, he may have to come offthe field on third downs.
- He’s very much a work in progress with his hand in the dirt. Mills doesn’t play with ideal physicality, often failing to set the edge as a run defender.
How other scouting services rate Rylie Mills (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank