Draft Profile: BioRylie Mills from Lake Forest High School was rated a 4 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Mills opted to join Notre Dame.
In 2020 as a freshman Mills saw action in 10 games and played on a total of 141 snaps for the Fighting Irish. He recorded 4 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 2 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 6 total pressures, which included 4 QB hurries, one QB hit, and one sack on the season.
As a sophomore for the Fighting Irish in 2021 Mills played in 13 games and took part on 270 snaps for the Fighting Irish. He recorded 9 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 8 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 19 total pressures, and 13 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 3 sacks during the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Combines excellent power with initial quickness, but one of his best attributes are his violent hands, which Mills uses with impressive precision.
- Agile run-stopper at end, extends to grab backs from the backside and possesses foot quickness and hustle to chase plays downfield. or to the sideline.
- Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #56. He wrote, "Mills, who had three sacks in 2021, is really strong, having benched 420 this offseason, but also moves very well, clocking 19 mph on the GPS. Mills’ explosiveness also is reflected in his hang clean peak output of 2828 and his power clean peak output of 2,854 — both totals are higher than his super freaky linemate Isaiah Foskey (2,674, 2,696, respectively)."
- He’s very instinctive when it comes to countering and solid with overall hand usage.
- Mills has heavy hands and uses them aggressively, rocking offensive linemen back. He shows the ability to disengage and out-grapple blockers in a phone booth.
- His spin move is already NFL-caliber, and he displays a very good motor.
- Mills shows good quickness off the line of scrimmage and flashes the violent hands to win around the edge.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Lacks a stout anchor and can be redirected off the snap with an underwhelming base strength.
- Mills lacks elite traits in the pass rush and will need to develop a counter move.
- Mills also shows some stiffness when trying to bend the edge, often getting pushed past the pocket — Mills seems more comfortable countering back inside.
How other scouting services rate Rylie Mills (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank