Draft Profile: BioZacch Pickens from T L Hanna High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Pickens joined South Carolina after being heavily recruited.
In 2019 as a freshman Pickens saw action in 12 games and played a total of 224 snaps for the Gamecocks. He recorded 11 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 4 stops.
As a sophomore for the Gamecocks in 2020 Pickens played in 10 games and took part in 445 snaps for the Gamecocks. He recorded 23 tackles, 13 assists, while adding 13 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 6 total pressures, and 5 QB hurries, no QB hits, and one sack during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Pickens played in 13 games and contributed on 562 snaps. He recorded 28 tackles, 6 assists while making 22 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 14 total pressures, which included 8 QB hurries, one QB hit, and a solid 5 sacks on the year.
In 2022 as a senior Pickens logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 606 snaps for the Gamecocks. He also added 31 tackles, 12 assists, and 22 stops. As a pass rusher, he tallied 19 total pressures, which included 13 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s a decent mover who shows surprising quickness for a 300-pounder when chasing the ball carrier in pursuit.
- Looks the part with natural size and filled-out frame with good body thickness.
- Pickens has the lateral agility and balance to cover two gaps, and Pickens shows some good closing burst when moving down the line in pursuit.
- Stays coordinated through contact and can anchor well in the run game, generating power from his lower half.
- He’s extremely thick through the lower body, and he uses his natural leverage to win at the point of attack, often requiring a double team.
- Can make the impressive chest-to-chest bear hug tackle in the hole due to his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Must improve hand use and read-and-react skills. Lacks the violent hands to shed and can be eliminated by double-team blocks.
- Pickens doesn’t always move well laterally and doesn’t have a lot of range when it comes to pursuing on the backside.
- Average athletically with average straight-line speed and tight hips. Not a natural bender. Lacks secondary pass-rush moves.
Zacch Pickens percentiles vs other Defensive Line's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Zacch Pickens (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank