Draft Profile: BioCalijah Kancey from Northwestern High School was rated a 3 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Kancey opted to join Pittsburgh.
In 2020 as a freshman Kancey saw action in 11 games and played on a total of 398 snaps for the Panthers. He recorded 22 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 18 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 26 total pressures, which included 15 QB hurries, 9 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Panthers in 2021 Kancey played in 14 games and took part on 577 snaps for the Panthers. He recorded 22 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 26 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 38 total pressures, and 19 QB hurries, 10 QB hits, and 9 sacks during the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Kancey is strong enough in the lower body to hold up at the point of attack, and Kancey displays a good feel as a grappler in the phone booth, consistently getting blockers off-balance before sending them to the ground.
- Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 7 . He wrote: "This was a great find by Panthers defensive line coach Charlie Partridge, who has deep ties around South Florida. In 2021, Kancey earned first-team All-ACC honors after producing 13 TFLs and seven sacks. Pat Narduzzi says Kancey reminds him of Panthers legend Aaron Donald, and while that is pretty hefty talk, no doubt this guy is special too. Narduzzi told The Athletic this month that Kancey has been clocked running a 4.69 40. Kancey also has vertical-jumped 31 1/2 inches and bench pressed 425."
- With a powerful lower body and the ability to hold up at the point of attack as a run defender, he is remarkably instinctive.
- He explodes off the line with a quick first step, with agile feet to counter inside and closing burst to finish plays.
- He’s strong at the point of attack against the run, able to hold his own when asked to play inside and battle double teams. Kancey has outstanding lateral movement skills and is quick to slip blocks with the speed to cover a lot of ground in pursuit.
- Challenges inside with quickness and strong hands. Run-and-chase defender who can leave a mark.
- He’s a high-effort pass rusher who shows good initial quickness and the ability to beat blockers to the inside.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Kancey has to develop a counter move or two in the pass rush, and Kancey needs to make better use of his hands.
- Is still a bit raw as a pass rusher and needs to diversify his repertoire of pass-rush moves.
- Stands up well against the run but is very pursuit-conscious and will take unneeded wide angles.
How other scouting services rate Calijah Kancey (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank