Draft Profile: BioCalijah Kancey from Northwestern High School was rated a 3 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Kancey opted to join Pittsburgh.
In 2020 as a freshman Kancey saw action in 11 games and played on a total of 398 snaps for the Panthers. He recorded 22 tackles, 4 assists, while adding 18 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 26 total pressures, which included 15 QB hurries, 9 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Panthers in 2021 Kancey played in 14 games and took part on 577 snaps for the Panthers. He recorded 22 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 26 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 38 total pressures, and 19 QB hurries, 10 QB hits, and 9 sacks during the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- High-effort, thickly built defender with good strength and the leverage to create a pile. Locates_ the ball quickly and pursues with passion, showing_ good lateral agility while extending the play to the sideline.
- He wins with all-out hustle, second and third effort and will contribute in the NFL.
- Plays with leverage at the point of attack whether inside or outside. Keeps eyes in the backfield when inside; moves linemen to either side with strong hands.
- Strong tackler. Has good power in hands and can anchor, shed, and chase.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Lacks the speed to turn the corner consistently and is too often washed out by stronghanded blockers.
- He doesn't have the elite quickness or flexibility to flatten off the edge against NFL blockers and might have to add bulk to be a 3-4 defense five-technique, or strong-side end in a 4-3.
How other scouting services rate Calijah Kancey (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank