Drafted: ROUND: 2 - Pick Number: 41 (ARI)
Draft Profile: BioBJ Ojulari was a two-way starter in high school who also played right tackle on the offensive line was ranked as the nation’s No. 9 weak-side defensive end by 247Sports and No.10 by Rivals. After high school, Ojulari joined LSU after being heavily recruited.
As a sophomore for the Tigers in 2021 Ojulari played in 13 games and took part in 697 snaps for the Tigers. He recorded 37 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 29 stops. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 54 total pressures, and 33 QB hurries, 13 QB hits, and an excellent 8 sacks during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Ojulari played in 11 games and contributed on 747 snaps. He recorded 35 tackles, 9 assists while making 26 stops. In coverage. As a pass rusher, he dominated with 50 total pressures, which included 28 QB hurries, 13 QB hits, and an impressive 9 sacks on the year.
Honors & awards
- Played in all ten of LSU's games as a freshman and finished the season with 16 tackles, four sacks, and five tackles for loss with a forced fumble and a fumble recovery
- Named to the Southeastern Conference (SEC) All-Freshman team
- Named the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week after sacking South Carolina quarterback Collin Hill three times for a loss of 21 yards
- Named the conference Defensive Lineman of the Week a second time after a 2½ sack performance in a 49-21 win over Central Michigan in the third week of his sophomore season
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s a fluid mover in pursuit as well, capable of moving down the line and making plays in pursuit.
- Player with high football IQ - well respected by coaches and teammates alike. Voted team captain
- NFL bloodlines - older brother Azeez Ojulari was drafted in the second round by the New York Giants in 2021
- Has an array of pass-rushing moves - including an elite spin move
- Ojulari explodes off the line with a quick first step, with agile feet to counter inside and closing burst to finish plays.
- While Ojulari has the flexibility to dip and bend under tackles, what makes him truly dangerous is his ability to counter.
- He’s very instinctive when it comes to countering and solid with overall hand usage.
- He has more than enough speed to chase and run in pursuit. He has the overall athleticism to hold up in space when dropping into coverage.
- His closing burst is outstanding, and he routinely finished plays last year. Ojulari has range and toughness as a run defender, capable of dropping anchor to set the edge and showing the acceleration to chase down the backside in pursuit.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’s going to struggle at the point of attack. As a pass rusher, Ojulari lacks the ideal length to ward off blockers and too often allows linemen to get into his chest.
- Unless he’s able to add more weight and strength to his frame (at the risk of losing speed and athleticism), he’ll lose more often than he’ll win if he gets caught in the phone booth with NFL linemen.
- While he moves well laterally, he doesn’t always get there in pursuit.
- Ideally will need to add more weight to his frame - currently, he's underpowered and can be overpowered as a run defender
- Has been used as standup player only has no real experience as a hand-on-the-ground edge rusher
Scouting Report: SummaryOjulari is a quality pro prospect with very good experience and production as a pass rusher, he's got an array of edge moves, and has near-elite agility along with outstanding speed for his size. While he may be regarded currently as pro-ready he isn't a three-down player and will likely be looked at as a pass-rush specialist, which may limit his draft demand.
We currently view Ojulari as a possible first-round prospect however think it's more likely he'll end up hearing his name called at the beginning of day two of the 2023 NFL Draft.
BJ Ojulari percentiles vs other Defensive End's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
BJ Ojulari Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate BJ Ojulari (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank