Draft Profile: BioTyler Grubbs from Holy Cross High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Grubbs joined Louisiana Tech.
In 2020 as a freshman Grubbs saw action in 10 games and played a total of 565 snaps at Linebacker for the Bulldogs. He recorded solid 77 tackles, 14 assists, while adding 50 stops. In coverage Grubbs notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 127.8. As a pass rusher, he added 13 total pressures, which included 10 QB hurries, no QB hits, and 3 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Bulldogs in 2021 Grubbs played in 12 games and took part in 664 snaps for the Bulldogs. He recorded solid 65 tackles, 29 assists, while adding 43 stops. In coverage Grubbs made 3 pass breakups, no interceptions, and a decent QB rating when targetted of 82.4. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 13 total pressures, and 8 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 3 sacks during the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Intelligent player who can play "MIKE" linebacker despite his lack of size because of his instincts and ability to find the ball in traffic.
- Grubbs shows excellent awareness in coverage when dropping into zone.
- Grubbs shows good quickness off the line of scrimmage and flashes the violent hands to win around the edge.
- Tougher between the tackles than many expect. Fluid and quick drop into zone, covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 "MIKE" and knows where the markers are.
- Reads quarterbacks eyes and reacts quickly to targets in zone coverage.
- Greet feel in coverage. Often arrives at the receiver at the same time as the ball, giving up few yards after the catch. Possesses straight-line speed to stay with or chase down receivers in man.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Grubbs lacks the speed of a chase and- tackle guy. Grubbs lacks twitch as a pass rusher and lacks the feet and flexibility to threaten around the edge.
- Loses size battle to many tight ends and is easily pushed away on out routes.
- Inconsistent hustle. Only adequate change-of-direction ability. Also loses his balance too often in the open field. Lacks size to bull rush stronger tackles.
How other scouting services rate Tyler Grubbs (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank