Draft Profile: BioPhil Jurkovec from Pine-Richland High School finished his high school career in Pennsylvania with more than 11,000 passing yards in less than three years and led Pine-Richland to a 16-0 record and a state title in his senior season of 2017. He was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports and joined Notre Dame ready for the following season
In 2018 as a freshman, Jurkovec saw action in only one game and In the following year, he played in 5 games as he passed for just 222 yards.
After season's end Jurkovec decided that a transfer to Boston College was the best option for him after two fruitless years at Notre Dame. It was a wise choice -- and as a junior in 2020 Jurkovec played in 9 games. He passed for 2213 yards on 286 attempts with a completion percentage of 61.9 for an average of 7.7 yards per attempt, with 15 TDs, with a QB rating on the year of 99.0. As a runner, he added 53 runs for a total of 322 yards at an average of 6.1 per run.
In 2021 as a senior Jurkovec suffered an injury in week two resulting him in missing half the season, still during 6 games he managed to throw for 914 yards on 96 attempts with a completion percentage of 54.2, with 7 TDs, while taking 7 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 93.8.
In 2022 as a fifth-year senior Jurkovec saw action in 8 games as he threw for 1711 yards on 249 attempts with a completion percentage of 59 for an average of 6.9 yards per pass, with a decent 11 TDs, while taking 24 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 81.3. He added 46 runs for a total of 168 yards at an average of 3.7 per run.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time. Possesses very good vision balance, elusiveness, and deceptive speed and power as a runner.
- Sees the field very well when the play breaks down and occasionally changes plays at the line.
- Smart QB who limits interceptions by rarely forcing the ball into coverage. Takes what the defense gives him
- A natural leader who seems to improve in pressure situations
- Big enough to break arm tackles as a runner - has the frame to add more weight and get stronger
- Has the athletic ability and enough speed to be viewed as a dual threat
- Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage after the catch.
- Enough arm strength to drive the ball through tight windows up to 20 yards downfield. Spreads the ball around to multiple receivers.
- Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
- Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Jurkovec has a bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot when the pocket gets muddled, and Jurkovec is too often all arm when throwing on the move, sacrificing accuracy.
- Jurkovec has a tendency to hold the ball too long, and he will make panicked throws; good things don’t always follow when he’s forced to extend plays.
- His mechanics must improve considerably to be an effective pro quarterback - his footwork is only average
- Sometimes a little slow in his progressions and is too patient/hopeful his first read will break free
Scouting Report: SummaryPhil Jurkovec has faced adversity while at Notre Dame and is now in a much better situation at Boston College. He has excellent athletic skills, has ideal height, is a good runner with decent speed, is generally accurate, and has an NFL-level arm who is able to make all the requisite throws. He however is far from a finished product, as despite playing for four years he has only thrown fewer than 300 passes in total and the experience does show in his play. For Jurkovec to be considered by pro teams as worthy of a high pick he'll have to show serious improvement in 2022. Currently, we view him as a likely fourth-rounder in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Phil Jurkovec percentiles vs other Quarterback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Phil Jurkovec (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank