Draft Profile: BioBryce Ford-Wheaton from Holly Springs High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Ford-Wheaton opted to join West Virginia.
In 2018 as a freshman Ford-Wheaton saw action in just 2 games and went without a catch.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played 11 games and had just 12 catches for 201 yards for an average of 16.8 yards per catch, with 2 TDs.
As a junior in 2020 in a COVID shortened season he played 9 games and hauled in 27 catches for 416 yards for an average of 15.4 yards per catch, with 3 TDs, and QB rating when targeted of 83.6.
As a senior in 2021 he played 12 games and had 42 catches for 575 yards for an average of 13.7 yards per catch, 3 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 95.4.
As a fifth-year senior in 2022 he played 12 games and had 62 catches for 675 yards for an average of 10.9 yards per catch, 7 TDs, and less impressive QB rating when targeted of 76.5.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He proved at the combine that he was the best athlete in the WR group. Standing 6-4 and weighing in at 221lbs he ran a 4.38 forty, put up a 41-inch vertical, and a 129-inch broad jump. Very similar measurables to the Seahawk star DK Metcalf
- Is an impressive blocker - not unexpected given his almost tight end-like build
- He’s also a catch-and-run threat, a creative runner who has some vision in the open field; he’ll be an option to return kicks as well.
- Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #68. He wrote, "At 6-3 1/4, 224, Ford-Wheaton puts up some big numbers in the training program. He vertical-jumped 40 inches, broad-jumped 10-8; had a 4.02 pro agility time and went 6.68 in the L-drill. In addition, he power-cleaned 365 pounds. Teammate Lance Dixon, a linebacker who is almost the exact same size, put up very strong numbers in some of these areas too, with a 10-6 broad jump; a 39-inch vertical and 4.11 pro agility time."
- He has reliable hands and shows the willingness to make catches in traffic over the middle.
- A savvy, natural pass-catcher with reliable hands and very good focus. Snatches the ball out of the air and shows the concentration to make acrobatic catches look easy.
- Ford-Wheaton fights his way off the line of scrimmage against press coverage, showing quick, violent hands and good balance.
- Outstanding in jump ball situations - dominates smaller DBs. Mismatch in the redzone
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- While he has elite long speed - his acceleration is average and he seems to play slower than his forty time
- Given his athletic profile he has underperformed in college and has put up just three 100plus yd games
- Rounds his routes and has run a limited route tree
- Has played almost exclusively on the left side of the formation - may struggle to adjust to a multi-dimensional role in the pros
- Not much of a start-stop shifty player - will beat you with speed but not quickness
- Ford-Wheaton seems comfortable in traffic to the point where he doesn’t make the effort to create separation.
- Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest.
Player ComparisonLess productive DK Metcalf
Scouting Report: SummaryBryce Ford-Wheaton is no doubt an incredible athlete with off-the-scale measurables. We haven't seen this combination of speed, size, and overall length since DK Metcalf. He isn't just an athletic freak with no football skills - he possesses excellent soft reliable hands and is elite in high-pointing deep balls. He however has limited college production and has never dominated at that level, he additionally is a poor undisciplined route runner and doesn't play to his timed speed.
Overall Ford-Wheaton is an intriguing prospect who is a classic high ceiling low floor guy. Given his measurables expect a team to take a flyer on him in the fourth or fifth round of the 2023 NFL draft.
Bryce Ford-Wheaton percentiles vs other Wide Receiver's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Bryce Ford-Wheaton (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank