Draft Profile: BioCaelen Carson from North Point High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Carson opted to join Wake Forest.
In 2020 as a freshman Carson saw action in 8 games and played a total of 507 snaps at cornerback for the Demon Deacons. He recorded 22 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 6 stops. In coverage Carson notched up 2 pass breakups, one interception, and an outstanding QB rating when targetted of 49.3.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 9 games and logged 466 snaps for the Demon Deacons. He made 30 tackles, 2 assists, and had 7 stops. In coverage he totaled 5 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 55.5.
In 2022 as a junior Carson played in 7 games and contributed on 306 snaps. He chalked up 17 tackles, one assist, and added 4 stops. In the secondary Carson forced 5 pass breakups, no interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 81.8.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Carson tracks the ball well and does a nice job of getting his head around in plenty of time to avoid flags.
- Flashes some physicality as a hitter.
- Instinctive, adept at reading routes and anticipating throws, and strong in zone coverage.
- Has an NFL frame with strong hands, the ability to close quickly on underneath routes and the size to tackle with a thump.
- Plays with the natural balance and ultra-quick feet to mirror underneath, and he’s tremendous at reading routes and reading quarterbacks.
- Has the quick feet to mirror receivers underneath. He also has the fluid hips and top-end speed to turn and run downfield. Carson shows good awareness when dropping into zone coverage, with good route recognition and the ability to break quickly and cover a lot of ground.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Questionable technique and Carson gets lazy with fundamentals, sometimes getting high in his backpedal and will breach the coverage call seeking flashy plays
- He’ll draw plenty of flags early on with his playing style. Carson is hesitant when facing the action in zone coverage.
- Gave up far too many big plays in college, especially concerning since he has recovery speed to make up for missteps.
How other scouting services rate Caelen Carson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank