Draft Profile: BioMax Melton from Cedar Creek High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Melton opted to join Rutgers.
In 2020 as a freshman Melton saw action in 9 games and played a total of 354 snaps at cornerback for the Scarlet Knights. He recorded 24 tackles, one assist, while adding 7 stops. In coverage Melton notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 88.9.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 10 games and logged 487 snaps for the Scarlet Knights. He made 23 tackles, 5 assists, and had 2 stops. In coverage he totaled 6 pass breakups, 3 interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 92.3.
In 2022 as a junior Melton played in 12 games and contributed on 577 snaps. He chalked up 25 tackles, 6 assists, and added 9 stops. In the secondary Melton forced 6 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 84.8.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Great on route recognition, albeit with some room for improvement in footwork during transitions.
- Exceptional hand-eye coordination and agility, as well as a keen vision and a third gear which he effectively utilizes in the return game.
- Impressive ball skills, tracking the ball effectively downfield and demonstrating adept hands and coordination to secure interceptions even when not frequently targeted.
- Possesses the physical gifts to match any cornerback in this class, though there are some rough edges on the field.
- Willing in run support, and comes downhill swiftly when the opportunity to make a play presents itself. However, he could improve his tackling consistency.
- Proficient in zone coverage, showcasing a great understanding of routes and the ability to close, although sometimes his transition can be sluggish.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Backpedaling can be sloppy, and transitions to close on the ball can be sluggish.
- Angles in pursuit could be tighter and tackling technique needs improvement for consistent finishes.
- Has a tendency to allow too much cushion while playing off his man, which becomes problematic as his tackling commitment varies.
Max Melton percentiles vs other Cornerback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Max Melton (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank