Draft Profile: BioT.J. Tampa attended Lakewood High School and was rated a 3 star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.840, going unranked by ESPN Following high school, Tampa opted to join Iowa State.
In 2020 as a freshman Tampa saw action in 6 games and played on a total of 89 snaps for the Cyclones. He recorded 4 tackles, no assists, while adding 2 stops. In coverage Tampa notched up no pass break ups, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 153.6.
As a sophomore for the Cyclones in 2021 Tampa played in 11 games and took part on 302 snaps for the Cyclones. He made 17 tackles, 2 assists, and had one stop. In coverage Tampa totaled 2 pass break ups, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 130.2.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Reads the QB and gets good breaks on the ball. Bigger hitter than his slight frame implies. Closes quickly and generates explosion.
- Should excel as a zone defender because of his closing speed to wrap receivers after the catch.
- Fits best in a zone system at the next level due to size and ability to close to the ball.
- Changes directions with ease and has the frame to hold up at any spot in the secondary.
- Closing speed and willingness to make the big hit make him one of the more versatile safeties in the class.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Not an explosive player and needs to show better bend and flexibility in his drops - plays too high.
- NFL quarterbacks may take advantage of his aggressiveness in man and zone to eye up short routes and go over the top
How other scouting services rate T.J. Tampa (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank