Draft Profile: BioT.J. Tampa attended Lakewood High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.840, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Tampa opted to join Iowa State.
In 2020 as a freshman Tampa saw action in 6 games and played a total of 89 snaps at Cornerback for the Cyclones. He recorded only 4 tackles, no assists, while adding 2 stops. In coverage Tampa notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 153.6.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 11 games and logged 302 snaps for the Cyclones. He made 17 tackles, 2 assists, and had one stop. In coverage he totaled 2 pass breakups, no interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 130.2.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- On the boundary, Tampa has the strong core and hips to latch on to receivers and escort them to the sideline.
- Should excel as a zone defender because of his closing speed to wrap receivers after the catch.
- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Stays low in his backpedal and shows the click-and-close ability to break up plays in front of him. Tampa can move well laterally and shows excellent instincts when looking into the backfield in zone coverage.
- Has the recovery speed to make up for mistakes early in the down. Tampa tracks the ball well downfield and has the ball skills and easy leaping ability to high-point the ball and come down with the interception.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has a high backpedal and loses a step in transition. Plays with adequate speed but there are concerns about his ability to handle the truly explosive speedsters of the NFL.
- Feet aren’t ideal, as Tampa gets sloppy in his backpedal and can be sluggish when transitioning to close on the ball.
- Receivers can arm-bar downfield to create separation. He's too often caught peeking in the backfield and gives ground on double moves.
- His athleticism gives him the potential to have tremendous range in coverage, but he is often hesitant and doesn’t seem confident in what he’s seeing.
How other scouting services rate T.J. Tampa (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank