Draft Profile: BioNate Wiggins from Westlake High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Wiggins opted to join Clemson after being heavily recruited.
In 2021 as a freshman Wiggins saw action in 7 games and played a total of 128 snaps at cornerback for the Tigers. He recorded only 2 tackles, no assists, while adding 2 stops. In coverage Wiggins notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and an outstanding QB rating when targetted of 50.3.
As a sophomore in 2022 he played in 12 games and logged 703 snaps for the Tigers. He made 25 tackles, one assist, and had 8 stops. In coverage he totaled 9 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 75.5.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s a willing and capable hitter in run support and closes fast to make plays against quick screens.
- Has the fluidity, speed and quick feet to come down and defend slot receivers in man coverage. Wiggins also does a nice job breaking down in space as a tackler after the catch.
- Shows the click-and-close ability to backpedal and the ball skills to make plays. He has loose hips to go along with good top-end speed, and Wiggins can flip around to turn and run in coverage.
- He’s tall-framed with long arms to match. With his powerful hands, straight-line speed, and fluidity in his hips, turning and chasing downfield shouldn’t be a problem.
- Has quick feet and excellent change-of-direction ability, capable of mirroring quickness underneath.
- Long and lean and a very fluid mover. Wiggins shows good route recognition and the ability to transition out of his backpedal and close on the ball fast.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Doesn’t bring much physicality, as Wiggins seems unsure moving downhill as a run defender and doesn’t deliver much pop as a tackler.
- He’ll draw plenty of flags early on with his playing style. Wiggins is hesitant when facing the action in zone coverage.
- At this point, he can get outmuscled. Wiggins also might be susceptible to catch and- run plays. He’ll give effort in run support, but he’s going to struggle to get off blocks against physical outside receivers.
How other scouting services rate Nate Wiggins (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank