Drafted: ROUND: 3 - Pick Number: 90 (DAL)
Draft Profile: BioDeMarvion Overshown played safety at Arp High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Overshown joined Texas as a safety prospect after being heavily recruited.
In 2018 as a freshman Overshown saw action in just one game and played a total of one snap at cornerback for the Longhorns.
As a sophomore for the Longhorns in 2019 Overshown played in 8 games and took part in 253 snaps for the Longhorns. He recorded 14 tackles, no assists, while adding 12 stops. In coverage Overshown made 2 pass breakups, one interception, and a QB rating when targetted of 90.1. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 5 total pressures, and one QB hurry, 2 QB hits, and 2 sacks during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Overshown made the full-time transition to linenacker and played in 10 games and contributed on 696 snaps. He recorded 54 tackles, 9 assists while making 29 stops. In coverage Overshown chalked up 5 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 67.4. As a pass rusher, he produced 9 total pressures, which included 5 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Overshown logged playing time in 11 games and logged a total of 530 snaps for the Longhorns. He also added 52 tackles, 19 assists, and 32 stops. While in coverage Overshown made one pass breakup, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 111.6. As a pass rusher, he tallied 15 total pressures, which included 9 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the season.
In 2022 as a fifth-year senior Overshown logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 712 snaps for the Longhorns. He also added 67 tackles, 25 assists, and 46 stops. While in coverage Overshown made 2 pass breakups, and gave up a QB rating when targetted of 93.7. As a pass rusher, he tallied 23 total pressures, which included 15 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 3 sacks on the season.
Honors & awards
- First-team All-Big 12 at linebacker by conference coaches and the Associated Press in 2022
- 2022 Butkus Award semifinalist
- Preseason first-team All-Big 12 by Phil Steele in 2022
- 2021 Butkus Award semifinalist
- All-Big 12 honorable mention as a linebacker in 2020 and 2021
- 2020 Valero Alamo Bowl Defensive MVP
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He's got elite speed 4.56 in the forty for a linebacker - able to easily stay with tight ends on deeper routes and able to track running backs sideline to sideline laterally
- Outstanding change of direction skills combined with impressive acceleration allowing him to shoot gaps
- Has the frame to add more weight
- He has the overall athleticism to hold up in space when dropping into coverage.
- Has the dynamic athleticism to be a force on the edge. He’s a fluid mover with bend-and-dip flexibility as a pass rusher, and Overshown uses his long arms to ward off blockers.
- He combines good length and initial quickness, showing the burst to win early in the down as a pass rusher.
- Overshown has violent hands and consistently breaks away and disengages from blockers. He’s instinctive, reading, reacting, and locating the ball quickly, and finishing plays as a solid, wrap-up tackler.
- Has the fluid hips and long arms to turn and run with tight ends, as well as excellent range when dropping into zone coverage.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Not instinctive reacting to RPO plays leaving him late to the POA
- Not as good in coverage as you would expect given his history as a safety/corner - over the past two years his QB rating when targetted has averaged around a distinctly unimpressive a 100
- As a blitzer his technique is very raw- and is forced to rely on speed alone to get to the quarterback
- Size is currently a big problem. Overshown doesn’t have much in the way of take-on skills, struggling to shed once blockers get into his body, and a relative lack of upper-body strength.
- Struggles to slip blocks- doesn't have the power as shedder - he’ll need to be covered up in order to make plays.
- Overshown has take-on skills but is probably better off getting covered up in order to maximize his range.
Scouting Report: SummaryDeMarvion Overshown was a high school standout and former top-ranked recruit as a defensive back. He made a change to linebacker halfway through college and has been productive as a result. He possesses elite speed, is explosive, and displays a relentless motor, he however is small for the position and struggles to shed blockers, and can be overpowered in the power run game.
The main concern with Overshown is his supposed major upside - his skills in coverage due to his experience as a safety. These coverage skills are good but are far from elite as shown by his poor QB rating when targeted since making the position change, and as a result, probably can't compensate for his lack in other areas of the game.
Overshown will likely be selected around the fourth or fifth round of the 2023 NFL draft, however, may be overdrafted due to his name recognition and potential given his athletic profile.
DeMarvion Overshown percentiles vs other Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
DeMarvion Overshown Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate DeMarvion Overshown (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank