Draft Profile: BioSteve Avila from South Grand Prairie High School was rated a 80-star prospect by ESPN with a scout's rating of 80 Following high school, Avila opted to join TCU.
In 2019 as a freshman Avila saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 21 snaps for the Horned Frogs. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at center, and the rest at right guard.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 9 games and a total of 510 snaps. He conceded a solid 6 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 2 sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at center, and the rest at tight tackle.
In 2021 as a junior Avila saw action in 12 games and totaled 746 snaps. He gave up 11 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 2 sacks while playing most of his snaps at center.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Coordinated when moving to the second level as a run blocker, capable of landing blocks on the move.
- Shows good initial burst after the snap, with the ability to sink his hips and generate movement. He’s a heady and savvy pass protector, capable of making calls and setting protections at the line of scrimmage.
- Avila has good size and power, firing off the line of scrimmage and capable of creating movement in the run game.
- Avila plays with good leverage despite his taller frame, and he’s a surprisingly good mover for his size, showing fluidity and flexibility when blocking on the second level.
- Showing some nastiness to his game, Avila will sustain blocks through the whistle, thriving when he’s in the phone booth.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has a bad habit of panicking on reach blocks, lunging, and grabbing rather than trusting his athleticism to get him in position, which could lead to frequent flags for holding.
- He’ll have some trouble with quickness as a pass protector; Avila needs to make better use of his hands, and he often stops his feet once he makes initial contact as a pass protector.
- Can be a tick slow at the snap when asked to pass protect, and at times he looks hesitant when facing stunts and twists.
- More of a waist bender with subpar feet, and he too often ends up reaching and lunging when going against quickness.
How other scouting services rate Steve Avila (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank