- Has a naturally wide base, thickly build and good length. Long legs to cover a lot of ground with his initial kick slide. Has the quickness to set up quickly with enough lateral shuffle to mirror and mobility to get to the second level.
- Quick out of his stance with the footwork to be effective in front of screens. Willing to get out in front of ballcarriers to take out defensive backs and linebackers.
- Has the feet to adjust when he anticipates what's coming. Effective trapping and bends at the knees with adequate core strength to absorb the bull rush. Can clear a path at the second level if he hits the target.
- Has good footwork and technique. Balanced and agile pass protection set with excellent hand placement.
- A better than expected athlete who steadily improved in pass protection. Stout at the point of attack and maintains a wide base.
- Loses leverage battles and plays with high pad level. Can be late off the snap.
- Needs to prove his worth in a straight-ahead running game.
- Light on his feet for a guard but doesn't possess the range or size to remain outside against NFL pass rushers.
- Good upper-body strength but must improve his core strength. Better suited to a zone-blocking system because of his athleticism.
- Attacks when necessary, though he won't consistently dominate and can lose balance overextending.
How other scouting services rate John Michael Schmitz (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank