Drafted: ROUND: 2 - Pick Number: 43 (NYJ)
Draft Profile: BioJoe Tippmann from Bishop Dwenger High School and he was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports after winning the league MVP. Following high school, Tippmann opted to join Wisconsin.
In 2020 as a freshman Tippmann saw action in just one game and played a total of 11 snaps for the Badgers.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 12 games and a total of 687 snaps. He conceded just 2 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and not a single sack while playing at center.
In 2022 as a junior Tippmann saw action in 12 games and totaled 758 snaps. He gave up just 2 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack.
Honors & awards
- 2022: Honorable mention All-Big Ten (Consensus), Academic All-Big Ten
- 2021: Rimington Trophy preseason watch list
- 2021: All-Big Ten honorable mention (consensus), Academic All-Big Ten
- 2020: Academic All-Big Ten
- High School - All-Summit Athletic Conference honoree as a senior, serving as team captain, he was the league MVP
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Huge mauler at center 6-6 and weighing in at 317lbs
- He’ll consistently finish blocks, dropping on defenders when Tippmann has them on the ground. Tippmann shows good awareness reacting to twists and stunts as a pass protector, and he has the strength to anchor against bigger defensive linemen.
- Hugely respected by coaches and players alike - won the league MVP award which is super rare for an offensive lineman
- Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #28. He wrote, "Tippmann is a terrific combination of strength (635-pound back squat and 455-pound bench) and athleticism, clocking a 4.31 pro agility time and a 1.65 10-yard split, which would’ve been faster than any O-lineman at the NFL combine this year."
- Has big powerful hands - with outstanding grip strength
- He consistently plays beyond the whistle. He has good enough feet to hold his own in pass protection, particularly when factoring in his effort.
- Has a strong, flexible core, and the ability to absorb and anchor against the bull rush as a pass protector.
- Plays well in space and is an outstanding pulling blocker - puts his elite speed to good use on sweeps
- He’s a fluid mover in pass protection, with great coordination between his upper and lower body. Tippmann sets with a wide base has the requisite core strength and plays with natural balance, capable of sitting back and handling power.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Satnding at 6-6 he's probably too tall for the position - looks more like a tackle. Shorter defenders can easily get under his hands and win the leverage battle - driving him back
- He’ll occasionally stop his feet when delivering a punch, and Tippmann doesn’t play with ideal balance when moving back into his set. He’ll often struggle to mirror if he can’t win early on passing plays.
- Needs to watch his discipline and commits too many holding penalties (6 in 2022)
- Has good-not-great feet. Dealing with speed if forced to the edge will likely be a problem, especially because he’s more comfortable moving forward as a run blocker than he is retreating as a pass protector.
- Despite being 317lbs - he could do with adding some more mass - looks a little bit lean for the position
- Tippmann often plays too high, allowing speed-to-power rushers to knock him back and off balance.
- His footwork is only average and needs refinement
Scouting Report: SummaryJoe Tippmann is an excellent pro prospect he's super athletic, has elite strength and accompanying speed, has a sky-high football IQ and is versatile enough to fit in pretty much any pro scheme. He isn't perfect however and may be viewed as too tall for an interior lineman, especially a center but despite this, he's still a likely day-one starter in the pros. Expect Tippman to be selected in the second or third round of the 2023 NFL draft.
Joe Tippmann percentiles vs other Center's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Joe Tippmann (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank