Drafted: ROUND: 3 - Pick Number: 87 (SF)
Draft Profile: BioJi'Ayir Brown attended Trenton Central High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.880, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Brown opted to join Penn State.
In 2020 as a freshman Brown saw action in 9 games and played a total of 130 snaps at safety for the Nittany Lions. He recorded just 5 tackles, no assists, while adding one stop. In coverage Brown notched up no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 97.9.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 13 games and logged 721 snaps for the Nittany Lions. He made solid 66 tackles, 7 assists, and had 18 stops. In coverage he totaled 3 pass breakups, an impressive 6 interceptions, and a decent QB rating when targetted of 79.2.
In 2022 as a junior Brown played in 12 games and contributed on 611 snaps. He chalked up solid 54 tackles, 8 assists, and added 25 stops. In the secondary Brown forced one pass breakup, 3 interceptions, and gave up an impressive QB rating when targetted of 59.2. He also logged 10 total pressures, and 3 sacks on the year
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He’s a willing and capable hitter in run support and closes fast to make plays against quick screens.
- Not a major liability in man coverage. Decent enough foot speed and length to stay with slot receivers in four-wide sets on short patterns.
- Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #69. He wrote, " In 2021, he made six interceptions, the most by a Penn State player in 15 years, to go with 73 tackles and two fumble recoveries. The 5-11, 208-pounder has elite quickness, clocking a 3.99 pro shuttle time this offseason. He also ran a 4.45 40 and bench pressed 370 to go with a 345-pound power clean."
- Great speed in pursuit with the chase skills to track down the ball carrier.
- Has a stocky build and sets a physical tone in the middle of the field. Fills hard against the run, showing speed and taking good paths to the ball.
- Willing in run support, coming downhill quickly when Brown has a chance to make a play.
- Good strength to tackle. Plays with high energy and is a tough-minded overachiever.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Tends to play conservatively and give too much cushion when playing off.
- He’ll draw plenty of flags early on with his playing style. Brown is hesitant when facing the action in zone coverage.
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
- His combine performance highlighted slow-timed speed. He probably can't be trusted defending faster receivers deep
Ji'Ayir Brown percentiles vs other Safety's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Update - 04/29/2023Brown's combine perform was seriously disappointing. We expected him to put up a mid-4.4 time but he ran a pedestrian 4.65
Ji'Ayir Brown Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate Ji'Ayir Brown (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank