Drafted: ROUND: 2 - Pick Number: 47 (WSH)
Draft Profile: BioJartavius Martin attended Lehigh Acres High School and was Following high school, Martin opted to join Illinois.
In 2018 as a freshman Martin saw action in 10 games and played a total of 493 snaps at cornerback for the Fighting Illini. He recorded 32 tackles, 9 assists, while adding 6 stops. In coverage Martin notched up one pass breakup, 3 interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 92.0.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 9 games and logged 384 snaps for the Fighting Illini. He made 14 tackles, 5 assists, and had 2 stops. In coverage he totaled no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 114.3.
In 2020 as a junior Martin played in 8 games and contributed on 245 snaps. He chalked up 35 tackles, 5 assists, and added 8 stops. In the secondary Martin forced one pass breakup, no interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 75.0.
In 2021 as a senior Martin saw action in 12 games while playing 592 snaps. He logged 45 tackles, 15 assists, and made 14 stops. In coverage Martin had 6 pass breakups, one interception, and surrendered a QB rating when targetted of 84.5.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Martin saw action in 12 games while playing 721 snaps. He logged decent 52 tackles, 6 assists, and made 16 stops. In coverage Martin had 11 pass breakups, 3 interceptions, and surrendered a QB rating when targetted of 70.2.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- In the run game, he’s aggressive coming downhill and a sure tackler.
- Good strength to tackle. Plays with high energy and is a tough-minded overachiever.
- Extremely aggressive to come up and put his body in traffic to make tackles.
- He’s excellent in run support, a physical hitter who could also get a look at safety
- Can track the ball downfield and gets his head around when playing in a trail position, and Martin shows excellent ball skills when breaking on a route. He’s a plus tackler in run support as well.
- Transitions well from coverage to close on the ball. Strong hands, quick reactions for the interceptions.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has a high backpedal and loses a step in transition. Plays with adequate speed but there are concerns about his ability to handle the truly explosive speedsters of the NFL.
- Willing but not threatening tackler. Doesn't have the quick-twitch reaction when Martin gears down to rebuild to top speed. More instinctive than explosive.
- Has poor recognition skills when facing the action in zone coverage.
Jartavius Martin percentiles vs other Safety's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Jartavius Martin Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate Jartavius Martin (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank